OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nitros???

Started by kcrowder, December 15, 2014, 11:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcrowder

Hey guys. I'm not new to turkey hunting but new to the forum. I see alot of guys on here talking about Nitros. I shoot Remington Nitros out of my duck gun. Are these nitros that ya'll are talking about made by Remington or is Nitro the brand name of the shells?  If they are not Remington's, where do you buy them. How much are they per box? Thanks.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

K9Doc

I'm sure others will disagree, but most all of the nitro loads are way over pressure.
Not only have I seen them damage firearms, but seen the testing results that were sent to Ballistics lab.
Don't you think that Hevishot, Federal, Winchester, ect.... Would load heavier and higher velocity shot shells if they were within safe pressures?
Think about it ???
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

CAJUN LAB

Love my Nitros! They are loaded hot though. You can really tell it in the 12ga shells.

surehuntsalot

I have seen firsthand, nitro shells destroy a Browning BPS and a 3" 870
shot one in my 835 and had to take a rod and a HAMMER to knock out the stuck empty hull
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

01Foreman400

Been shooting them for 8 years now and never had a problem. I've shot close to 50 rounds.
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

Tail Feathers

Quote from: surehuntsalot on January 14, 2015, 08:20:53 PM
I have seen firsthand, nitro shells destroy a Browning BPS and a 3" 870
shot one in my 835 and had to take a rod and a HAMMER to knock out the stuck empty hull
I've had to put the butt of my 835 on the ground and use two hands to pump out the spent shell before.  I buddy couldn't get them to eject from his 1187 so he had to fire three of those expensive rounds into the ground to unload his gun.   12 gauges in both instances tho. That's when I quit buying them.  They will darn sure kill a turkey tho. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

drenalinld

To answer original question, they are definitely not Remington. Look at link above.

Bowguy

My neighbor loves them. Offered to give me some. Prob the best patterning shells I've ever seen BUT he's blown the choke out of his guns twice.

pabirdsmasher

Nothin but dead birds just love em.     :z-guntootsmiley:

hookedspur

Quote from: pabirdsmasher on February 21, 2015, 03:57:37 PM
Nothin but dead birds just love em.     :z-guntootsmiley:

This !!  Order early and plenty.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

owlhoot

Why would anyone bother with these shells?
Blowing up guns and chokes, that's nuts.

Bowguy

Quote from: owlhoot on February 21, 2015, 11:13:14 PM
Why would anyone bother with these shells?
Blowing up guns and chokes, that's nuts.
Agreed. I'd never even try them no matter the patterns I've seen or the fact they were free. Ain't blowing up a gun to gain an edge. Best patterns I've ever seen but I think in 10 ga they're almost 3 oz of shot. Had other friends guns unable to eject after one shot. I don't see advantages in this. To each his own

K9Doc

Funny as hell!!!!
I will put up my itty bitty 1 & 5/8 oz 20 gauge
TSS 9's up against any Nitro in any gauge.
Plus mine are SAAMI safe!!!!
Rolling my own!
Peace out
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Rem Man

I am no expert by any means but I have a hard time thinking that a company who sells ammo to the general public would load ammo and take a chance of hurting someone or their firearm. I see all these posts about this choke and that choke and this shell and that shell ? I wonder what hunters did when all of this high tech stuff was not around?? Well they went and killed turkeys just as dead as we do today. I know that everyone has their own opinion, but what works for some may not work for others. Good Luck to everyone this year!!!