OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sounding board

Started by Brantley, December 03, 2014, 07:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brantley

I built this call out of spalted maple a buddy gave to me. I don't own a lathe so I don't attempt to make pot calls. I do make trough calls and thought I'd try something different. I'd like to put a sounding board in the next one to increase the volume of the call. This particular one sounds sweet but is soft. I'd use it for tree talk or close in but it has no mid-range at all. I'd like to put glass under the slate next time. Again, I don't have a lathe so barring trying to route out the circle, I'm kind if limited. Does anyone know how far below the playing surface the sounding board needs to be, and how much clearance it should have between it and the inside if the call's walls? I drilled holes in the bottom and four on the outside circumference of the call but it's just slightly muffled. Any help would be much appreciated. Also, looking to use some of the spalted maple I have as a base and possible a paddle for a walnut body. Any thoughts on it? Worried it may have poor tonal quality due to the heavy spalting.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

M Sharpe

Quote from: Brantley on December 03, 2014, 07:51:37 PM
I built this call out of spalted maple a buddy gave to me. I don't own a lathe so I don't attempt to make pot calls. I do make trough calls and thought I'd try something different. I'd like to put a sounding board in the next one to increase the volume of the call. This particular one sounds sweet but is soft. I'd use it for tree talk or close in but it has no mid-range at all. I'd like to put glass under the slate next time. Again, I don't have a lathe so barring trying to route out the circle, I'm kind if limited. Does anyone know how far below the playing surface the sounding board needs to be, and how much clearance it should have between it and the inside if the call's walls? I drilled holes in the bottom and four on the outside circumference of the call but it's just slightly muffled. Any help would be much appreciated. Also, looking to use some of the spalted maple I have as a base and possible a paddle for a walnut body. Any thoughts on it? Worried it may have poor tonal quality due to the heavy spalting.

You've just asked a question that many of these guys have been playing with for a long time......You may not get an answer! Not trying to be rude; nor, do I make pot calls. It's just that questions like yours are trade secrets and often times makes one callmakers pot different from the others. So, don't get offended if no one replies with an answer. Spend some time on here and get to know some of the guys. It might surprise you with what you can learn after folks get to know you. And.......... Experiment!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Brantley

I never even considered that but I completely understand. I probably should've thought about that aspect!
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

M Sharpe

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Brantley

M,Yingling

If using single plain glass for sound board a good starting point is to have glass one thickness from bottom of slate and go from their on sound can go more or less,,,,,theirs more to it then how far the glass is from slate as for how thick side and bottom are ,,, experiment a bit start out with walnut ,,or maple easy woods make good sounding call,,,,,
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

mastevt

I maybe differant because I don't mind sharing info.  Helps keep the tradition of build calls going to the next generation.  If nobody shared, eventually there would be nobody building calls.

As for the soundboard, I set my air gap at .085 - .090.  No more, no less.

I don't have a lathe either, and I built a jig and machine all my pots out using a router.  Fast n easy.

Brantley

Thank you gentlemen. I really appreciate the help!