turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pappy's Titanium over Slate in Mesquite

Started by pappy, November 20, 2014, 06:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

Someone was asking here while back about a pot call, if I made them still. Well, I decided I had best get some made, just in case someone may need one to throw at their Tom! LOL.....Titanium / Slate ... this is the same 3 - 1/2"  titanium that M.A.D. used in their super titanium calls back in the 90's I got from their rep a couple years back. The striker is Tulipwood with a Texas Mesquite bell....really has a great sound to it, everyone who has one of my earlier calls will attest to that, several called in birds.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

VA_Birdhunter

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

mgm1955

bbcustomboxcalls

Spring Creek Calls

Titanium / Slate ... this is the same 3 - 1/2"  titanium that M.A.D. used in their super titanium calls back in the 90's I got from their rep a couple years back. The striker is Tulipwood with a Texas Mesquite bell....really has a great sound to it, everyone who has one of my earlier calls will attest to that, several called in birds.

Never had the pleasure of playing a titanium call. How does it differ from aluminum in sound?
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

pappy

" Pappy made me a titanium double/sided over glass in Black & White Ebony before the season this year.  I've played w/ pot calls for over 30 years and have developed a fair ear for what sounds "Turkey" and this call is a real treat.  Like a lot of metal surface calls, the sound can really be manipulated to the fullest extent w/ a wide variety of strikers made w/different woods which all require a little different technique.  I'm all over calls which exhibit a sound, pitch, etc., which the birds have never heard and titanium will do just that.  I never hunt without a slate, copper, and this year, titanium surface call.  IMO both copper and titanium, and to an extent aluminium, calling surfaces are a little more demanding to master than glass, slate or ceramic, but are well worth the effort.  I can't say enough good about Jack Lewis (Pappy) as a person and the craftsmanship and quality of his calls and it might be worth the effort to deconstruct a factory titanium call and resurrect it as a "Pappy Special" or press him to bite the bullet and obtain more titanium for one of his titanium double calls.
Thanks again Jack, I hope and pray that things are going well with you and your family,
Craig "

the titanium can hit the high notes like aluminum but it has a very raspy end to the lower notes. it is a very hard material so conditioning is best done with a diamond dusted wheel from dremel tools or a diamond wetstone block then follow up with your scotch brite. These calls are tuff in high humidity, but where air levels are normal like 80% of the US they are killers. I have had them sent out and that same weekend got reported kills, one was less then 24 hours old in Kentucky and bagged a big tom....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

West Augusta

Love a titanium surface.  It's turkey for sure Pappy.  Just wish they weren't so expensive.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.