OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The pros/cons of Nitros

Started by TheSportsman, November 21, 2014, 09:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

I have been messing a lot of with benelli sbe 1 26" gun I've got. I've spent lotta money on chokes and loads. The gun doesn't pattern anything horrible but of course something's better than others. It's amazing how different choke/load combo shoot completely different points of impact.  However, in my testing, the 3.5 Nitros 2 1/4oz of 4x5x7s hevi paired with a rhino .660 still comes out on top with pattern density, evenness, and dead on point of impact.

For those who have killed birds with these custom nitro shells, how's the killing power, knockdown, etc. pros/cons? Likes and dislikes? One major con of course is cost but with what I spend on everything else, it doesn't really bother me. Any other ideas about them? Thanks

davisd9

Pro: they hit like a train and give you the confidence of a 40 yard shot even if you misjudge a few yards here or there.

Cons: Cost and making sure you order then in time for the season (can be bought at some stores)

I cannot really say a negative thing about the nitro shells overall.  One thing I like is they have faster velocity than the factory loaded Hevi-Shot and from my observations it makes a big difference in how hard they hit.  I personally am going to use up the Hevi that I have stored then I will switch to Nitros in the 12 ga.  I am currently running Nitro 7s in the 20 ga.  Good luck.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

hunter22

I have been shooting Nitros in my SBE I Benelli for a few years. I shoot the 3.5 inch, 4x5x7s, 2 1/4 ounce load. My Benelli has a 26 inch barrel and my choke is an Indian Creek .665 constriction. I have taken a lot of gobblers in several states with that combo. I consistently get in the 260 to 270 range at 40 yards. I have a Burris FF2 sight on it I have used a few years. The only problem I have with it is with birds real close. The pattern is so tight I try to shoot at 30 to 40 yards if possible. I was hunting in Oklahoma last spring and a buddy and I called in two gobblers. It was my turn to shoot and my buddy did not take his gun on that setup. I killed the first gobbler that came in. The second gobbler turned to run and I hit a call and he did a 180 and started gobbling. I handed my buddy my gun and I started cutting. The second gobbler continued strutting and gobbling. My buddy shot way before I was expecting the gun to go off. The gobbler hit he ground stone dead. We stepped it off and it was 58 long steps. I am certainly not saying this is an acceptable range but it is nice to know your gun is capable if you misjudge the distance. 

I have recently purchased another SBE I with a 24 inch barrel as a backup gun. My initial testing shows this gun performs extremely well with a Rhino .660 choke. But I plan to test more with it shooting Nitros. 

dirt road ninja

Used the 2 7/16 oz load of straight 7 all of last year. Went 8 for 8 and can't say a bad word about them. The 2 7/16's have enough fliers in my gun up close to make the short shots very easy. I killed one at 12 yards and one at 18 yards with no worrying about being too tight. At 40 yards she shoots 270-280 all day. They seem to be more consistent then the Hevi-13 in my opinion and they didn't fall apart in my vest or in my gun. The added velocity seems to cause less flopping, but I only have one season of experience with them, so far as I plan on using them in my primary turkey gun again. My gun actually throws better numbers in the 10 with the hevi-13, but I feel like the shot to shot - lot to lot consistency is way better with the Nitros.  At least in my gun. The season is way too short for me to gamble on lot numbers.  Thought about trying the 2 1/4 oz loads and would probably get slightly higher numbers in the ten, but I like all those extra pellets buzzing around. I'm using a 935 with a 26" barrel and a IC 675.

Bigspurs68

Can't say a bad word about nitros. I shoot them in a 3 1/2" 870, my girls shoot them in a 3" 1187 12 ga a 3" mossberg 500 20 ga. The 20 doesn't overly impress me with them but all 3 guns floor all the birds that we pull a trigger on.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

01Foreman400

I've been shooting Nitro's for 7 seasons.  I really don't have anything negative to say about them except I wish they where cheaper.  I shoot a SBE 2 24" barrel .670 Rhino choke with Nitro 3.5" 2 7/16 oz. #7's.  I get 320+ hits in the 10 at a taped 40 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!