turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Single Season Grand Slam

Started by Mike Honcho, November 19, 2014, 10:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

Kind of by accident I think I have the makings of a single season Grand Slam possible for 2015.

The state I hunt in has both Rio Grande and Easterns so I always harvest those species in my normal season of hunting.

In my business travels I recently met a landowner that has Merriams I can hunt only about a 4 hour drive from me.   

Another close business associate recently bought land in Florida and his neighbor has Osceola's and will allow me to hunt there...so just one airplane ride in the mix.   

I had never really thought seriously about a Grand Slam but I am going to have to give this some serious thought.

Honcho

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

chcltlabz

More importantly, do you need friends?  I've been trying to find, trade for or donate a kidney for an Osceola with no luck for years.  Still trying the public land quota route, because they want A LOT of money for guided hunts.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Mike Honcho

Not sure of county yet...isn't there a "line" where the true Osceola's are over or under etc.? 

I'd appreciate any helpful info.  I'll check into county this evening.

guesswho

Quote from: Mike Honcho on November 19, 2014, 11:52:27 AM
Not sure of county yet...isn't there a "line" where the true Osceola's are over or under etc.? 

There is an imaginary line.  Who came up with it I have no idea, probably a group of outfitters.    You can find it on the N"WTF" website.  Most of Florida is considered Osceola country by non-residents and Florida Outfitters.  A lot of people born and raised in Florida seem to have about three different lines depending on where you were raised.  Some say anything South of Interstate 10, some say anything South of Interstate 4 and others say anything South of Hwy. 70.  From growing up there I do know that on average the further south a bird is killed the more it looks like what the N"WTF" calls an Osceola.    As far as a slam goes I would say if you consider it an Osceola then it's an Osceola.  Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Gooserbat

Mike, If I were you I'd go for it. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Mike Honcho

Florida property if I understand correctly is between Sarasota and Arcadia.

guesswho

No doubt it's an Osceola that far South.   I've killed a few down that way.  Some pretty good populations around too.  You could be in for a real treat.  Good luck.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

guesswho

Oh, and Hwy 70 goes through Arcadia which separates the South zone from the North zone.  If it's South of 70 you get the early season.  That usually opens the first Saturday in March.   
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

davisd9

Good luck!  I hope you get your slam.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

VA_Birdhunter

That would be awesome!! I hope it all works out for u!!

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Mike Honcho

Appreciate the tips and "local knowledge" guys!

Rokhal07

Quote from: guesswho on November 19, 2014, 01:41:30 PM
Quote from: Mike Honcho on November 19, 2014, 11:52:27 AM

There is an imaginary line.  Who came up with it I have no idea, probably a group of outfitters.    You can find it on the N"WTF" website.  Most of Florida is considered Osceola country by non-residents and Florida Outfitters.  A lot of people born and raised in Florida seem to have about three different lines depending on where you were raised.  Some say anything South of Interstate 10, some say anything South of Interstate 4 and others say anything South of Hwy. 70.  From growing up there I do know that on average the further south a bird is killed the more it looks like what the N"WTF" calls an Osceola.    As far as a slam goes I would say if you consider it an Osceola then it's an Osceola.  Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.
pretty much x2 Ive heard the hwy 70 more than the others. Good luck. Its a really fun conquest.

mgm1955

Good luck!!! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Old Timer53