turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What about poplar?

Started by wayne, March 19, 2011, 02:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne

I'm wanting to get started in making turkey calls and to say I'm starting from scratch would be an understatement. Is poplar a good wood to use? Wanting to know before I burn what I have cut down. Here's what I have(can shown for size comparison)...

handcannon

Yes it is. Poplar is a good wood for making calls. That wood being freshly cut will take quite some time before it is ready to us but it will definatly work. You need to cut it up like you would cut lumber and seal the end grain to prevent cracking. Store it in a warm, dry place and let it dry out for use. If your ready to get into callmaking now, find you something like cedar to practice on. It's rather cheap and easy to find and easy to work with. Makes a great sounding call that looks good to boot. The wood you have pictured will make some good calls someday but your probably looking at around a couple years of just air drying before you start on it.

spurman

Also makes a good striker.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

selinoid44

Wayne, I just posted some poplar calls on the turkey calls and calling section. Check them out.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

Spring Creek Calls

A cedar and poplar box screams!

:z-winnersmiley:
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box