turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kent turkey shells

Started by slicksbeagles1, March 18, 2011, 07:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slicksbeagles1

Any of you guys every tried these Kent shells? i was at BPS last night and one of the clerks was telling a guy that on of there supervisors took several boxes of shells and the kents patterned the best and it could be his gun liked them better. i should have asked some questions but i did not want to but into there conversation.

hookedspur

Not in my gun, no pattern at all on some shots.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

jakesdad

ive tried them in my 20 and for the price they are pretty good.wouldnt be afraid to use if my shots were all under 30.If i remember right at 30 yds with the 1 1/4 #6 I got around 130 in a 10" circle.Not fantastic,but if a guy is on a tight budget these would definetely be a good shell.these were shells i got a few years ago so they may have changed since then,but that is my experience with the ones i've got.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

paturkeyhntr

I tried them in my 835 and they worked as well as any other shell except the Hevi Shot.

pullit

I tried them and did not like them for two reasons:
1) they did not pattern good
2) they kicked like a pissed off mule....

mcgruff1533

I've run a box of Kent Ultimate (lead) Turkey loads through my Mossberg 535 and the patterns weren't very spectacular.

The load I tried was their 3.5"-2.25oz-#6 lead shell.     I ran them through various chokes ranging from a .643" SSX, .660" Carlson's, .665" Undertaker, .670" Carlson's and the factory supplied .670" Accuchoke.

The patterns were even, but the numbers even at 30 yards weren't that great.    I'd have to check my pattern targets, but I seem to remember 170-200 pellets in a 10" circle at 30 yards.     I didn't even bother shooting them at 40 yards.

Reloader

Unbuffered with soft shot.  They don't pattern well for me, but they'll do for a 35-40yd shell in the right choke.

Good wads, but no buffer kills them.

Pullit's right about the recoil, they are salty in my 835.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'll make it short and sweet.  You couldn't give me Kent loads. 

surehuntsalot

not worth a crap in either of my 835's or the 20ga 870,but the 3" 2oz #5's and 6's did pretty good in my old Rem.1100 with a fixed full choke(.690) I think

go figure
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

snarer

Not going to say they're great but for the price I say you can't beatem.  They patterned better than remington nitros for me in my 870.  I think I got around 105 in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards with 1 7/8 #5 shot.  And I don't plan on shooting over 30 yards.  But for the people that said the recoil is bad I can second that! ;D

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteThey patterned better than remington nitros

Doesn't pretty much everything else pattern better than Rem Nitro Turkey loads?

Rem Nitro Sporting Clays 1300fps #7.5's pattern better than their Nitro Turkey loads do.

SumToy

Funny thing I had a guy come by yesterday with some.  They did not do bad but I would not jump up and down to get them.  The one thing I did see is him go to talking bad after he shot them.   :goofball:  They do have a good  KICK to them.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

ILIKEHEVI-13

I shot some Kent 3.5" 2 and 3/8oz #5's.  Yea they were only $10, but it was money wasted.  Oh I suppose it would kill a turkey at 40yds, but I wasn't impressed at all for such a big load.  The same goes for some of the Fiocchi turkey loads.  Save you money and buy better ammunition.  

archery1

they are cheap.. but i gues u get what u pay for ???? we tried them in 3 different guns and chokes.. shot ok but the winchester shells u get at walmart shoot better if u are looking at money.. the best around is the hevi 13 shells though ....by far.. just ask around.. this turkey thing gets addictive and pricey.. just wait..ha ha
hope this helps
Take a kid hunting

trash2

shot them and did not particularly care for them at all, that being said the fiochii 6's shoot very good out of my gun but the 5's did not and kick much worse than the kents.