OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trumpet turning repair question

Started by larry9988, June 29, 2014, 08:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry9988

I was turning a piece of African Blackwood when I discovered two small holes in the wood. They look like worm holes even though they were deep in the wood. The holes were not detectable until I was finishing up my turning. The two holes are about the size of a number two pencil lead. What is the best material to fill the holes or is this even possible? Thanks in advance. Larry

callmakerman

If you have to do it I would say use a thicker CA glue maybe mixed with some of the sanding dust wait for it to dry and then finish sand it. I would leave it. I don't think it should hurt the sound of the call to much.

Rick Howard

I have used CA glue to fill holes and bark pockets but, I used CA to finish those pieces also.  I would guess that oil would not work well over it if that is your intended finish.

pappy

Larry, CA glue and dust from the turning will do the trick. If the holes run through to internals be certain to have the dust penetrate through then re-sand the internals. Coat the inside and finsih the outside, using dust will create a perfect match to the wood's external look, if you use shavings you will see tiny gaps.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

larry9988

Thanks for all of the replies. I will give it a shot.