turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Many Trumpets do you need to have?

Started by gfg, June 24, 2014, 10:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfg

Hey guys I know this is a forum for mostly building but I have a serious question.
Tubes sound so similar  to me. How many different Trumpets does a hunter really need to hunt with?  I have two, it took me 18 months to learn to use them. (taking them to work with me and practicing at lunch.) I have called birds up with both.
So do they sound different enough to have more than two?   Thanks for your help......And all I see here are beautiful.

ccleroy

They are like guns and dead turkeys to me, I'll never have enough.

Houndstooth Game Calls

I carry 2 with different bore mouthpieces for a older hen and young hen.. I also find that a trumpet is a awesome call to strike birds with unreal how far a trumpet carries through the woods!

davisd9

Quote from: ccleroy on June 24, 2014, 10:32:09 PM

Agreed!

Many factors can make trumpets sound different, wood, mouthpiece material, mouthpiece bore size, makers internals, etc.

One reason so many love the Buice trumpets is because you can change out the mouthpieces and have one trumpet that sounds differently with each mouth piece.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mikejd

SCGobbler

As many as your significant other allows!
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

gfg

I am seeing yes for collecting but no reason to have more than a few for actual hunting.......(I do like to look at them also) So really no more than two for hunting only purposes?
Thanks.

jbrown

I hunt with Buice trumpets, I will carry 2 diff wood barrels and 5 mouth tips made from 5 diff materials. With that combo, I have 10 diff soundin trumpets.

outdoors

I TAKE > TWO <  WITH ME , I HAVE A BUNCH  , BUT I TAKE ONE THATS LOUD AND THE OTHER THATS
SOFT AND SEDUCING THE GOBBLER TO COME ON IN ............  :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

savduck

Quote from: gfg on June 25, 2014, 02:41:29 PM
I am seeing yes for collecting but no reason to have more than a few for actual hunting.......(I do like to look at them also) So really no more than two for hunting only purposes?
Thanks.

To hunt a turkey you only need one. As a free American you can own and hunt with as many as you want. I own about 30. Every one of them sees time in the woods at some point in life. Sometimes I carry one. Sometimes I carry two. Sometimes I carry two and a wing bone. I own several Buices', so sometimes as stated before by others I carry his with several mouth pieces. Do I need too...No, but I do because it makes me happy.

Trumpets do sound very similar, but if you run them enough you can hear slight differences in tone with various wood types, different internals, lengths, and different size mouth pieces. Some are higher pitched, some are deeper, some have more "pop" or rasp. Some of the yelps roll over faster or slower. On a hot gobbler maybe non of that matters, on some gobblers it may matter. I have had gobblers that I called to with multiple calls and the would only gobble at one. Owning and hunting with multiple trumpets has nothing to do with "need" but more to do with enjoyment. So do what you want, carry as many as you want and have fun.
Georgia Boy

Rapscallion Vermilion

gfg

Thanks to all that took time for input, Very very helpful.

GSLAM95

Quote from: ccleroy on June 24, 2014, 10:32:09 PM
Well said Sir!

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.