OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many hunt a non camo gun?

Started by TheSportsman, June 17, 2014, 11:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Well? My browning gold is mossy oak break up but my Benelli sbe is duracoated a muddy olive drab green. Haven't turkey hunted with the Benelli since it was duracoated, but I'd think the OD muddy green would blend ok? Who else hunts with non camo gun? Honestly, ever had a bird spook from it?

rkm456

I hunt with a Mossberg 500 that's got a coyote tan receiver, magazine and barrel. Then the foreend and stock are max4. I'm an awful hunter, but I'm pretty sure they'll spook off of movement before they spook due to a slightly wrong colour of green.

Keep in mind though that as I mentioned, I'm an awful hunter.

mikejd

Before the whole camo gun got big we all used to just hunt with a regular blued gun with wood stock.
I guess if you sit in a spot were the sun can catch a reflection it may bite you but for the most part I have never had a bird spook from my gun.

lowoctane

Used to use my Browning A5 in 2 3/4" high brass. Killed a few with that combo before diving into the new guns. Camo makes it easier to hide movement, but still no substitute for mistakes... :z-twocents:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Rick Howard

Im sure its fine.  I don't always wear camo.  Most often its a pair of carhartts and a camo shirt for me.  This was my first turkey season but had plenty of birds within gun range.  Sit on the shady side of a tree/bush and sit still.  In many ways I relate turkey hunting to coyote hunting, which I have more experience in.  This is one of those ways.  I'm not saying camo is useless or does not help.  However, woodsman ship is the necessary element and camo is extra.  This is my opinion anyway.  It's subject to change with good evidence to the contrary :)

My nephew killed his first turkey wearing what he has on in the photo.  The gun was a non camo Rem 870 that I have hunted with for 20 years. 

d.winsor

I hunt both camo and non camo, never had a bird spook because of the gun.

BandedSpur

Quote from: d.winsor on June 18, 2014, 07:33:54 AM

Ditto. Proper set up in shadows and sitting still is much more important than gun finish.

Longshanks

Quote from: TheSportsman on June 17, 2014, 11:09:56 PM
Well? My browning gold is mossy oak break up but my Benelli sbe is duracoated a muddy olive drab green. Haven't turkey hunted with the Benelli since it was duracoated, but I'd think the OD muddy green would blend ok? Who else hunts with non camo gun? Honestly, ever had a bird spook from it?

I hunt with two 870's that are duracoated. OD green receivers and tube, matte black barrels, matte black stocks.  Killed two mature gobblers inside 10yds this year. They were still coming when I shot. Never saw a thing. I was still and they were looking at the black hole in the end of the barrel. Hens on both sides didn't see the gun either. Don't move and they don't see..I don't hunt with shiny blued guns due to the glare off the gun but black, green, brown and camo guns have all worked well for me.

howl

Generally, when it is in their sight it's pointed at them so there's very little for them to see. Probably two-thirds of the birds I've killed were with a non-camo gun. Last one was walnut and black chrome.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: TheSportsman on June 17, 2014, 11:09:56 PM

I usually hunt with whatever gun I've been shooting the most when the season comes in. I have both camo and non-camo guns and I've never seen it make any difference.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

reynolds243

All mine were camo but lately I have moved more to cerakoted guns with just a 2 color combo like black and patriot brown. I like the more clean classic look more these days

gwa

I switched to a non camo gun this spring. I just like the looks of it.

Been hunting with a matte black gun for 20 years,never had a turkey spook due to the gun.I have had hens within 10 feet and not pay a bit of attention to the gun unless I moved.

surehuntsalot

I have camo guns and black guns,the birds have never noticed the difference
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Yoder409

Quote from: d.winsor on June 18, 2014, 07:33:54 AM

This here.

My MAIN go-to gun for the last 10 years has been a matte black SX2.  They never saw it coming.   ;)   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.