OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3 pot calls that need help

Started by wisconsinteacher, June 05, 2014, 07:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

A few years ago, I ordered 7 blanks from Brook Side Game Calls and put them together.  4 of the 7 sound good and I would take them into the woods any day.  The other 3 do not sound good.  I would like to take them apart and retry my luck with them.  Here is what I have.

3.5" Cherry with slate over a cherry sound board

3.5" Zebrawood with black aluminum over a glass sound board

3" Paduk with copper over a glass sound board

Any ideas as to what to do or try with these calls?  I am willing to heat them up to soften the glue and then remove the surface and sound boards.  After that, I will clean them up and try new materials.  What would you suggest for surfaces and sound boards?

Thanks

mastevt

I like glass surfaces, and so that's what I would put on them.  as for the soundboard, I like acrylic, and glass, but slate I think will sound good on a small pot like that.  Small pots tend to be very high pitched, and the slate will calm that down a bit.

pappy

what are the combinations of the successful pots? Start from there. The only one I see I would think about is the slate over cherry .... kinds of sounds dead from the beginning.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

WillowRidgeCalls

Are the sides of the 3 calls that don't sound good, thicker than the ones that do? Joe's pots are a little on the thick side, and if you didn't thin them down a bit, they may sound kind of flat?  Most times redoing a pot kind of gives them a dull sound, unless you get every bit of the glue off the shelves.

I agree with pappy slate over cherry isn't a good combo.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott