OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trying ceramic ... Conditioning ???

Started by TarheelTurk, May 29, 2014, 03:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TarheelTurk

Hey everyone about to try turning a few ceramic calls for the first time, I was concerned on the best way to condition this surface for the best sound?? If it needs any at all? Thanks a bunch
Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

mastevt

Clean it with an alcohol swap, and your good to go.  However I have also recommended using a conditioning stone like you would use on glass for those who have a hard time running it.  Personally, I like DW the best on it, but I don't recommend ceramic to people due to it's difficulty to run, unless the user is very well versed in friction calls.  The stone will help, but ceramic should run without any conditioning, given the user's ability.  You should also pay a lot of attention to keeping your striker tip clean with it.  Scott.

West Augusta

Ceramic initially doesn't usually need much conditioning not until it has been used a lot or fingered.
Like mastevt said, clean with alcohol pads.  I will sometimes lightly sand it but not until it really slicks up.  I find ceramic very easy to use.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

pappy

Ceramic is about the only surface you should be able to use just by keeping it clean. Alcohol, is best. IF...by chance it needs a surface conditioning, use diamond dusted sharpener, like the little credit card sized ones, or a wheel for a dremel tool. Ceramic si so hard you just won't find anything to redo the surface that isn't harder then it is.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

TarheelTurk

Thanks y'all, once I glued it in I understand what you were saying it's running like a champ, I personally just had to lighten my grip up a hair on the striker . thank you again !
Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL