Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best choke constriction for Benelli SBE with Lead 5s?

Started by TheSportsman, May 28, 2014, 01:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Im going to go back to messing with lead.  I have a Benelli SBE with a 26" barrel.  What choke constriction do these guns tend to like with 3.5" #5s?  Ive got some Federal Turkey Thugs, Winchester HVs, Winchester Double X 2 1/4oz loads, and some Winchester Longbeards.  Ive got several chokes to start with... A Kicks .660, Kicks .665, and a Rob Roberts Choke in a .660.  What you guys thinking?  I hunt big timber/woods and rarely get a shot over 40 yards.

allaboutshooting

I currently shoot 3 Benelli shotguns on regular basis and a couple more from time to time. All the same barrel i.d. and only differ in length and choke thread type, Mobil or Crio.

I've shot lead from these guns in various sizes and shell lengths and still do occasionally when evaluating something new. I have not shot any of the Thugs but have shot a number of older non-Flitecontrol Wad shells as well as some of their less expensive lead loads like those.

My experience has been that those barrels like chokes in the .640 - .650 - .655 range depending of course upon the interior design but if I had to pick an exit diameter, it would be one of those. I do have one 26" SBE barrel however that "likes" a .660 better than anything else with the old 3" XX (Red) shells with #6 shot. Of the ones you mention, it would be most like the RR choke.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SumToy

Something in the 650 range.  You have a few good chokes to pick from. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

mrclif

All my nelli's have liked the truglo ssx while shooting lead among other types of shot. It's out pattern many chokes that cost 4X what it does.

SKFOOTER

I'll say the Kick's .660 will be the ticket with that load. :OGturkeyhead:

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: SKFOOTER on May 29, 2014, 04:17:44 PM
I'll say the Kick's .660 will be the ticket with that load. :OGturkeyhead:
+1 I agree. I use a Kick's GT.655 in my SBE with Win. 3.5" HV #6, the .660 should work well with #5's
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Cut N Run

Quote from: mrclif on May 29, 2014, 02:27:03 PM
All my nelli's have liked the truglo ssx while shooting lead among other types of shot. It's out pattern many chokes that cost 4X what it does.

^x2   Either 5s, 6s, or 7s of Pb or Hevi all shoot better out of my SSX choked SBE II than any other over the counter, non-custom choke I've tried. The Federal FF wads don't shoot worth a flip with a SSX, but that's to be expected through a choke with that much constriction.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

the Ward

My Benelli with a 28" barrel patterned both the 3" Turkey Thug and Winnie "grey box" 5s really well from a .650 Sumtoy. Like the other posters suggested, something in the .650-.655-.660 should do well with pb 5s.

TheSportsman

Thanks guys for the input! I've recently picked up a rhino .660 too and am going to order a ssx. I assume on the ssx, y'all are talking about the truglo ssx?

SKFOOTER

Quote from: TheSportsman on June 05, 2014, 09:02:49 AM
Thanks guys for the input! I've recently picked up a rhino .660 too and am going to order a ssx. I assume on the ssx, y'all are talking about the truglo ssx?
You're money could be better spent.  The Kick's .660 that you have should be the ticket for the lead 5's. :OGturkeyhead:

mrclif

Quote from: TheSportsman on June 05, 2014, 09:02:49 AM
Yeah the Truglo ssx, if your looking for higher numbers in the ten and twenty ring the ssx has won in my benelli's. I'm shooting TSS now and chokes have become pretty much earalative. But I still will keep the truglo for back up incase I grab something other than TSS.