OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

picking up a lathe...

Started by dfresh55, May 20, 2014, 05:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfresh55

so i belive im going to be picking up a lathe this week to stqat making some calls, what else woulda  rookie need to pickup with it to start turrning some pots?

pappy

You will need to figure out what size lathe you are picking up first? A mid sized lathe could handle the load needed to turn pots using a chuck. I have a NOVA 3000 DVR so I knew right off the bat a chuck would not be a problem. Next you will need a drill chuck for your tail stock unless you already have a drill press, go for at least a 5/8" capacity on that and whatever MT taper your tail stock is setup with. Then turning tools, get a good quality set like Benjamins, they are not costly but good materials. Then you will need measuring device of some kind, I use a pair of digital fractional caliper (6"), not to mention the sandpaper and finishes you'll need. Hope this doesn't scare ya off, but it is rather costly to get started, right, in making calls.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

dfresh55

i was going to pick up this oen from hf just a s a starter to see if something i can do with my patience level hahaha and then upgrade later if i enjoy it which im sure i will haha

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/stationary-wood-lathes/8-inch-x-12-inch-bench-top-wood-lathe-95607.html

would this use a chuck or how else would it hold the pot im so new i sound like an idiot i know haha...

mmclain

don't get it.........   find a used jet....if you want to save some $$.....

the lathe is the cheapest part of getting started turning

and buy some books on wood turning.......center work and face work...you'll need both.....read them it will help you more than you know.....or you can do it the hard way by trial and error....

matt

| Justin |

My first lathe was the 5 speed Harbor Freight model that I found on Craigslist for $40.

I agree that you should consider finding a nicer used lathe over a cheaper new one... but if a deal comes up like I happened to find on that 5 speed, you can't really go wrong.  AFAIK that's the only model that Harbor Freight makes that is worth a damn.

I've stated this in a few other similar threads as well, but you can learn a lot from Carl Jacobson's YouTube channel... His videos were very helpful to me when I got started.

P.S.  Pappy, I'm incredibly jealous of your Nova 3000 DVR

pappy

LOL don't be jealous, just buy one!  I also turn on a Rikon but it is too small for me to turn a pot on because of the torque, the DVR has tremendous torque, even at 100 rpm, yet if you catch your piece while turning it will stop and in 5-10 seconds restart. This gives you time to turn the machine off. Stay away from Harbor Freight. If you can get lucky a good used Jet is fine, especially the 708359 model. My son inlaw found one for 450.00 with a set or Sorby Turning tools (which I now have at the cost of a  100 dollar bill) it was like new, but it was sold by a widow, what a deal he got. But use your better judgement on purchasing a lathe, even though it may be the cheapest part of starting out in turning, it is the most important part.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Gobbler2577

Don't forget you're going to need to sharpen your tools.  A bench grinder with the appropriate stone (80-120 grit) or a speciality sharpener from rockler or something.  If you don't keep sharp tools you will become very frustrated.  Good luck and most importantly have fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dfresh55

thanks guys yeah that
Quote from: | Justin | on May 20, 2014, 11:14:29 PM
My first lathe was the 5 speed Harbor Freight model that I found on Craigslist for $40.

I agree that you should consider finding a nicer used lathe over a cheaper new one... but if a deal comes up like I happened to find on that 5 speed, you can't really go wrong.  AFAIK that's the only model that Harbor Freight makes that is worth a damn.

I've stated this in a few other similar threads as well, but you can learn a lot from Carl Jacobson's YouTube channel... His videos were very helpful to me when I got started.

P.S.  Pappy, I'm incredibly jealous of your Nova 3000 DVR

i dont mind spending the extra if this is that much better of a lathe than the $130.  thanks everyone for all the help!  hopefully i can figure it out lol

| Justin |

Quote from: dfresh55 on May 21, 2014, 11:58:41 AM
i dont mind spending the extra if this is that much better of a lathe than the $130.  thanks everyone for all the help!  hopefully i can figure it out lol

Unless it's your only option for some reason, I don't think that it's worth the money that HF wants for it new when compared to a nicer/used Jet, Delta, etc that you could get for around the same amount.  I guess it really all comes down to what you're able to find on Craigslist, etc. in your area.

dfresh55

yeah i just check cl in my area nothing that isnt 100 years old lol.  does anyone know if that on from hf would use a chuck or how would the blank attacth to the darn thing lol

outdoors

I HAVE THIS ONE GOING ON TWO YEARS , NO PROBLEM AT ALL
WHAT I LIKE THE MOST IS THE VARIBLE SPEED ......

http://t.harborfreight.com/8-inch-x-12-inch-bench-top-wood-lathe-95607.html
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

mmclain

if you really want a nice lathe get a Vicmarc.......

matt

West Augusta

Quote from: dfresh55 on May 21, 2014, 02:38:33 PM
yeah i just check cl in my area nothing that isnt 100 years old lol.  does anyone know if that on from hf would use a chuck or how would the blank attacth to the darn thing lol
Don't knock old lathes.  I have a 1928 Oliver 51A.
I changed the bearings and added a VFD and it works great.  Ready for the next 100 years.  :TooFunny:
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

stone road turkey calls

craig list is a good place to get a used jet lathe, check out this jet i may get it for a extra

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/tls/4484741256.html

Oh! and my 5 speed harbor freight lathe still making pots after about 10 years with no problems, use it more than my jet.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

ironman123

I haven't found anything on my craigslist in years that I would buy.
A lot of people say Harbor Freight---OH NO but I guess I have been lucky.  I have their micro mill/drill that I made cnc about 6 years ago...no problems.  I have their 9x20 metal lathe for 8 year (heavy use) and no problems.. have their 7x10 metal lathe for many years..no problems.. now been using their 10x18 5 speed wood lathe for 2 years.

Have had to buy a belt now and then but all in all I can't complain about HF except for their halogen light bulbs---they are junk.

Ray