OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Chokes for sbe ii

Started by Prohunter3509, May 16, 2014, 05:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prohunter3509

Ok guys I think I am fixing to break down and buy sbe ii
What kinda chokes and shells been working best
With these guns. 24" barrel and what to expect. And people that has these guns are yall happy
With there perdormance. Before I make final decision
One more chance to talk me out of it  lol

2much2loud

I have good luck with MagBlends 3 1/2"  and a Indian creek .665 .... Not putting up world record patterns but kills em as far as I want to shoot

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Prohunter3509 on May 16, 2014, 05:07:49 PM
Ok guys I think I am fixing to break down and buy sbe ii
What kinda chokes and shells been working best
With these guns. 24" barrel and what to expect. And people that has these guns are yall happy
With there perdormance. Before I make final decision
One more chance to talk me out of it  lol

Benelli makes very fine shotguns. I've owned them for a very long time. I would encourage you to do one thing however before you purchase that SBEII. I would recommend that you look at the Vinci and compare the feel, balance and how it comes to your shoulder. Then try the triggers on both guns.

The barrels have the same i.d., both are chrome-lined and cryoed but for me, the Vinci fits better, balances better and has no noticeable muzzle flip. The Vinci trigger is also excellent.

I shoot 3" shells for hunting and in competition in these guns. I like and my guns like Hevi-13 with 2 oz. of #6 but the #7s are also excellent. The Magnum Blend shells are quite good but generate a good bit more recoil than the standard shells.

I have found that the key to good patterns with all Benelli shotguns is keeping the bore clean. It's chrome-lined so it can look clean when it's not. It will keep on going and going regardless of being clean or dirty but for most people I know, when they clean the bore, they get much better patterns.

There are a variety of turkey chokes that work and work very well. They all need to be well-seated in the counterbore and checked periodically due to their design. They do not like to be loose! The exit diameter really depends upon the internal geometry that the choke maker chooses. I've seen good to excellent patterns with the Hevi-13 chokes, JEB's chokes, Pure Gold, the Wright's, SSX and the Ambush chokes. All are well designed and excellent products.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Prohunter3509

Thanks clark  this I will try I no the sbe ii points for me excellent
But I am gonna cjeck trigger

Prohunter3509

Hey clark the poa/poi were they true on yours when you
Bought them

reynolds243

Rob Roberts 655 and magblends and be done with it :)

sixbird

The forcing cone has been lengthened and polished on mine (I wouldn't recommend doing that). It shoots well with the Roberts .655 and surprisingly, with the DND Haymaker .670. Both with 3" Mag Blends. I'm going to try the Roberts .660 as soon as I get a minute. The 24" bbls. from what I can gather are somewhat finicky. Mine has proven to be. From the factory it shot Hevi 13 (the old white ones) #6 1 3/4 oz. loads very well with a Primos Jellyhead .660. It shot the old Rem. hevi shot #6 1 3/4 oz. 3 1/2" from that same Jellyhead VERY well...If I had it to do over, I think I'd go with a 26 or 28" bbl. Seems it's easier to find choke ammo combinations that shoot well out of them...

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Prohunter3509 on May 16, 2014, 08:01:11 PM
Thanks clark  this I will try I no the sbe ii points for me excellent
But I am gonna cjeck trigger

You're welcome. I think you'll like it.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Prohunter3509 on May 16, 2014, 08:18:06 PM
Hey clark the poa/poi were they true on yours when you
Bought them

My first SBE, H&K 1991 model, shot very low. That was a real problem with the early guns. I was able to resolve that over time with some stock work and adjustable open sights. The early guns were not drilled and tapped.

I won another SBE, changed a shim and it shot to POA. I eventually sold that one.

The Nova, no adjustment possible,  is very good.

I had to use the shims on the SBE II to get it to shoot correctly.

Like the SBEs and the SBE II, I had to change a shim on the Vinci but with that change it's perfect.

Thanks,
Clark

CrustyRusty

As much as I like high end shotguns I find I use my 870 and 835 more than I do my Maxus or SBE2.  I don't worry about them near as much and feel I can beat on them a bit more than I do with the other guns. I like to keep my high end guns as pristine as possible and that doesn't work well with turkey hunting. Even though the Maxus is the best shooting of them all I use the 835 more than any because the patterns are almost as good as the Maxus and I don't worry about it as much.   If you do get it Rhino makes a great choke for the sbe

Snake reaper

Quote from: sixbird on May 16, 2014, 10:53:26 PM
The forcing cone has been lengthened and polished on mine (I wouldn't recommend doing that). It shoots well with the Roberts .655 and surprisingly, with the DND Haymaker .670. Both with 3" Mag Blends. I'm going to try the Roberts .660 as soon as I get a minute. The 24" bbls. from what I can gather are somewhat finicky. Mine has proven to be. From the factory it shot Hevi 13 (the old white ones) #6 1 3/4 oz. loads very well with a Primos Jellyhead .660. It shot the old Rem. hevi shot #6 1 3/4 oz. 3 1/2" from that same Jellyhead VERY well...If I had it to do over, I think I'd go with a 26 or 28" bbl. Seems it's easier to find choke ammo combinations that shoot well out of them...
just woundering on ,why not lengthen and polish fouring cone. Thought that would help not hut any shotgun.

Dtrkyman

Mine patterns beautifully with a jellyhead .660, hevi 6s, extended range 6s. 3 inch or 3.5, anything from 1 3/4 oz to 2 1/4 mag blends, all shoot straight and pattern well!

SumToy

You have a few good chokes to pick from.  Now in our chokes we run a 650 and 665.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

beagler

I'm getting great results in my SBE 2 using a Rhino .660
Never Misses

sixbird

Quote from: Snake reaper on May 19, 2014, 11:09:15 AM
Quote from: sixbird on May 16, 2014, 10:53:26 PM
just woundering on ,why not lengthen and polish fouring cone. Thought that would help not hut any shotgun.

That's what I was told but after it had been done and didn't shoot anywhere near as well as it had before lengthening, I was told that the 24" bbls. had variable results. They made it right and now it shoots very well with a Rob Roberts .655 and a DND .670 Haymaker. Shooting the 3" Magblends. The problem is, I had finally gotten it to pattern with the old 3 1/2" Rem. Hevi #6 and .660 Jellyhead.It also shot old white #6 Hevi 13 well. I had enough Rem. and Hevi 13 to last about 10 years. Now that ammo is marginal. So, now I have to buy the Magblends at about twice what I paid for the Rem. and Hevi. If I had it to do over, I'd opt for choke experimentation and leave the forcing cone as was...