OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Calling sequence

Started by JALA Strut, May 13, 2014, 12:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

When blind calling, like jblackburn, I start off with some basic, mid-range clucks mixed with yelps just to see if one might be close. If nothing, then I gradually ramp up the volume and mix in aggressive clucks and cutting.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Snoodsniper on May 13, 2014, 03:05:12 PM
Quote from: wisconsinteacher on May 13, 2014, 01:53:17 PM
Great question.  One thing I learned this spring was to sit tight and don't move right away.  I also make it a point to not get up and move for at least 30 minutes after my last calls unless I need to reposition on a gobbling bird.

I've been busted twice this season by getting up too soon. Had to go to work so I really didn't have a choice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Next time just tell them traffic was bad...

TauntoHawk

I try and start with a loud series of yelps, roughly 143 notes on a box call then switch back and forth between 43 owl hoot blasts and 37 crow calls. Then I break out the gobble call and fly down kackles no matter what time it is.

If all that excellence doesn't work I get a bull horn out and play the siren to get a shock gobble.

:OGturkeyhead:

No I start soft and try and keep things natrual sounding but I'm not afraid to crank it up, I called in a hen today on public land and she made a 10min straight racket with everything and the kitchen sink plus a few weird things i didnt know came from a turkey. Did she over call? make the gobblers call shy because she called too loud and too long? I doubt it, unfortunately she didnt have any longbeards in tow but im never be afraid to call like a Peeved off hen if thats what it takes.

I've always lived by, call as little as possible to get the gobbler to commit but sometimes you have to really tounge lash him to get him to listen.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>