turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fed heavyweight 3.5" 6s vs 7s??

Started by TheSportsman, May 11, 2014, 09:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

I'm like the rest of you guys, love constantly playing with these guns. I've never messed with the fed heavyweights in a 12ga.  Would you prefer the 6s or 7s? And why? I've got a browning gold 3.5" 24" with several chokes to mess with. Pg 670, jh 670, rob roberts 675 and a kicks 680.  I was kind of leaning messing with the 7s. Seems like a lighter payload for a 3.5" shell(1 7/8oz). I've been told they have dang good knockdown? What's been your experience with them?

Spurcollecta

In my personal experience shooting the heavyweight 7's they're bad medicine on a gobbler's noggin at well past 40yds. No need in using the 6's

BandedSpur

I have only read one report of a problem with the killing power of HW 7s in the years that they have been produced. I shot one box of the 3-1&5/8-7s. Shot some at paper and killed four turkeys with the rest. Smashed them all. I would definitely choose the 7s. They have more than ample energy at any ethical range, and you will have much better pattern density than with the 6s. There is no comparison between the killing power of these pellets vs HS 7s, which do fine as well.

Gooserbat

I'm a recent convert to HW 7.  They have treated me very well.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jordanz7935

Ive had great luck w both 6s and 7s in my 20 ga. I would choose the 7s because they have plenty of power and give you a high pellet count per shell when compared to the 6s. Dont listen to Mr. know it all on here he says you need to shoot manly sized shot, 7s are to small for turkey, blah blah blah.He doesn't have a clue.IMHO, Those Hw #7s are the best commercially loaded turkey loads available. The thing with the 12 ga loads is they seem real finicky about what choke u put them through but once you find a choke that the load likes you should be golden. Back to your original question, id choose the 7s but i would not hesitate to use the 6s.

Fullfan

I messed with the Federal Heviweights for a long time. My guns are a Super x-2,11-87 sps-t and a sure shot mag. Ran every choke you can buy through  my guns. Nothing would give me over 150 in the 10. Then I tried one of George Truelock's chokes built for the Fed #7 hevi weight. Now I am getting 200+ with my 3.5 guns and 180 with my 3" guns.  The #6 will smash a bird at 40-45 yds and so will the #7's. But on paper the  #7' will put more holes than the #6's.  My last 16 birds have died with the #7's
Don't gobble at me...

Lucky Clucker

We shoot the 7 in my sons gun, 3 and 3.5 inch. they pattern almost the same and kill like a mad dog, never seen a factory load smash them like HW 7, they are next to TSS in density and power.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

bawana

I've been running the #7's in 3 1/2 for 4 years, those things flat out hammer turkeys!

decoykrvr

If you plan on shooting the Federal Heavyweights, do yourself a favor and buy a Trulock HW 7's choke before you even start evaluating the shells with other chokes.  The Fed. HW shell w/ the Flitecontrol wad is ,without a doubt, the most finicky shell which I have ever messed with. At @ $53 for the choke from Trulock, it's a no-brainer to buy the choke when you figure in what it will cost to evaluate the shell at @ $30 per box of 5 shells. A clean, no oil or residue barrel, is essential for best performance and I would run a BoreSnake or clean dry patch through the barrel, even w/ a "clean" barrel, before patterning or hunting.  The 7's are all you need.  I dispatched a coyote, drop dead, last year at 40 yards w/ a load of 3", 7's to the head.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Just like most everyone else has said......... go with the 7's.  At 15g/cc density, it is the closest shot type to TSS as you can get and its better than Hevi.  Sure you could shoot the 6's, but the pellet counts will be low.

And I've read a lot of good things about the Trulock choke.  It was designed specifically for the FC wad and would be a smart purchase.

hunter-b

Longshanks

I shoot the Fed HW 7's in 20g and 12g. Bad medicine on the turkey. Great patterns with the 3" shell but have never shot the 3.5.

SKFOOTER

Quote from: bawana on May 23, 2014, 10:26:17 AM
I've been running the #7's in 3 1/2 for 4 years, those things flat out hammer turkeys!
What gun and choke??

bawana

Remington 870 supermag and Trulock .650