Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

So now that its over,what if anything do you want to change for next year?

Started by jakesdad, May 11, 2014, 11:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

I'm going to spend ALOT less time hunting field turkeys and much more time in the timber.Ive killed several birds in the fields,its just a bigger rush to me to work them timber birds.

Also gonna learn(try anyway)to run both a tube call and a trumpet proficiently.Can make turkey sounds with them now just want to get a lot better.

Also considering traveling much lighter next year,in both myself and all the crap I pack that I think I need.Gonna try to narrow it down to as little as possible.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

BowBendr

I'm going to invest in a thermacell and use it religiously. Last 2 or 3 days of the season here were terrible and I just couldn't sit still for slappin' skeeters. They were licking the bug spray I was using off me..........

jakesdad

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Spitten and drummen

Get some new calls , get rid of some i dont care for or carry with me. Play with a new 20 ga im gonna get to change out for the 12. Start looking into some new turkey hunting spots and out of state hunts.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

IowaGobblers

Not over in Iowa yet! Got one week left!  But back to the question, I plan on taking a little bit of time,  and probably quite a bit of $$, to find a htl load my gun likes.

budtripp

The only thing I'd do differently is buy a gobbler lounger before the season instead of waiting until it was half over. That thing is awesome but I only got to use it once before tagging out. Both my birds this year were timber birds and were 2 of the more exciting hunts I've ever had so I'll be looking for more timber birds next year.  I want to try and knock one down on public ground next year and also might try hunting in Northwest Nebraska with an old boot camp buddy of mine.

R AJ

I plan to tote two mouth calls,one pot, a box, and scratch call and other "essentials". Call less.
Sell a bunch of guns before then and concentrate on 2 20 gauge and 2 12 gauge guns of choice.Sell off several chokes and shells as well.
Use a few dollars to buy some Win Long Beard 20 gauge loads if they become available, and take my wife during the hotter gobbling periods.

Each year I get a little older and I will be thankful for being able to hunt another season.

renegade19

mastevt

I picked up a new to me, used shotgun.  Giving it a complete make over, and gonna make it my new turkey slayer.  New camo(having it dipped), new stock, scope, etc.

Gooserbat

I'll be getting the 870 Cerakoted, and possibly a Timney trigger kit.. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Bigspurs68

Get more permission, get more permission and get more permission. That's about it.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

wisconsinteacher

My season is not over but I learned a few things and have some plans for next year.  I learned that I love having a shooting stick to keep the gun up.  I also worked on staying put longer and it really paid off this spring.  Many of our birds came after the one hour mark.

Goals, for next year:

#1 Turn the turkey gun I inherited from my late father-in-law into a my new dedicated gun
#2 Learn to run a tube and trumpet well enough to hunt with, (the trumpet is close),
#3 Use a turkey vest for the first time ever.  I had the Cabela's Tater 2 at home but had to send it back because of a defect.  (I like it so far)
#4 One or two more custom calls for the collection

Big wish-Hunt out of state.  I have a few leads in KS and NE that I need to check out. 

Dtrkyman

I need more time and more tags :z-winnersmiley:

Need to learn some soft stuff on the mouth call, I can not get soft purrs and wines to save my life :help:

Get a bird for my friends kid, he went this year, hunted hard and got the goose egg!

Tail Feathers

I think I'll sell a couple of chokes, buy some more mouth calls.  Next year I won't enter the woods without my limb clippers.  I need better hides and those help in building temporary blinds and clearing a shooting hole in thick stuff tremendously.
I may need new boots.  The funky smell in my favorite boots may NEVER come out! :help:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ridgerunner