turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi 7s proved themselves

Started by captin_hook, May 06, 2014, 09:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captin_hook

I killed a tom today at 35- 40 yds with a dose of 3.5 inch hevi 7s today. Absolutely pounded him. Dropped him stone cold. He flopped a little once I got to him, but that's it. My first hevi 7 bird, this will be my choice load for years to come.

Fullfan

Yes sir they will get it done. I crushed several with the #7 hevi shot. Watched my son kill a Missouri long beard at 38 steps w the hevi # 7 a few days ago.
Don't gobble at me...

Grunt-N-Gobble

You can't go wrong with Hevishot 7's.  Congrats on the bird.

DirtNap647

WildSpur

Yep...I have yet to try them but from what what I see here they will be my load once my magblends are used up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

chipper

I've shot 12 longbeard with the Hevi 7's since they come out, all under 40 yards except for 1 which was a couple yards over 40, all were D.o.a.

budtripp

I've shot hevi 6's since 2011 with good results but this year I decided to try the 3.5 7's. My first bird this year was absolutely hammered at 35 yds. straight down, minimal flopping. My second bird was at about 25 yards and same results. I admit though, at 25 yds a trap load would've killed him but I'm liking the 7's

Longshanks

Shot one at 38-40 yds with 3.5/2.25/7's. Gun turns 330's in a 10 @ 40. Brutal effect on the turkey. Leveled the turkey and he didn't move. What I really like about this set up is the 25-30 pattern as well. Killed allot of turkeys up close with this set up.

grayfox

Killed my first turkey this year also with 2 oz. of Hevi-13 #7.  It's still mind boggling how they will kill a turkey.  Used Hevi-13 #6's last year but now I'm stocking up on the #7's.

TNTRKYHunter

How do the the Hevi-13  3.5" 2 1/4 oz # 7's compare to the 3.5" mag blends?

Longshanks

Quote from: TNTRKYHunter on May 07, 2014, 10:41:02 PM
How do the the Hevi-13  3.5" 2 1/4 oz # 7's compare to the 3.5" mag blends?

They put more shot in the turkey. Looking at the patterns I was putting up with mag blends the density of pattern was from the 7's with the larger shot scattered around the pattern. I was putting 80-100 more shot in a 10 @ 40 with the 7's so it just made since to run the 7's.

ILIKEHEVI-13

If folks can get rid of the preconceived idea that 7's are just too small of shot to shoot at turkeys, they will soon see that 7's are the way to go.  Not only do you gain a lot more hits in the 10" and 20" at 40yds, but almost every shot in the load will have enough power to shoot plum through the head and neck of any turkey that walks the earth at that very same distance.  I know it may be hard to believe.  But it is very much true.  I was one of the biggest skeptics.  But now I know what they in fact can do.   

Longshanks

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 09, 2014, 12:14:46 AM
If folks can get rid of the preconceived idea that 7's are just too small of shot to shoot at turkeys, they will soon see that 7's are the way to go.  Not only do you gain a lot more hits in the 10" and 20" at 40yds, but almost every shot in the load will have enough power to shoot plum through the head and neck of any turkey that walks the earth at that very same distance.  I know it may be hard to believe.  But it is very much true.  I was one of the biggest skeptics.  But now I know what they in fact can do.   

Interesting how these were the most talked about shells last year and now there isn't much talk about it..you just can't beat 300+ shot in a 10 of hevi 7's unless you handload TSS or pay the high price for nitro. If I had to rate the loads I have used from nitro to fed HW 7's to Hevi 7's. Hevi 7's would have to be the best because of the number of shot it puts in the turkey. I like the fed HW 7's but I couldn't get the patterns that I get with Hevi 7's. I liked nitro but the cost was ridiculous and the shell caused major POA/POI problems with my gun. So much that the gun had to be held awkwardly after reeling it in with adjustable sights. I shot some of the new hevi 7's and if they have changed they still shoot better than any shells on the market. Hevi 7's are the best in my book.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Very well stated Longshanks.  I hope at least others who haven't tried the Hevi-13 #7's will give them a try in the near future.  I'm glad I did. 

captin_hook

Yepper, I'm glad I'm stocked up for many years to come.