OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Holy$$$$$!

Started by Tbrom, May 06, 2014, 06:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tbrom

Old Gobbler

$200 for a turkey call is chump change -- take in mind people every day run out and pay that for a pair of shoes for their kids from china , and wear them out in 6 months - turkey calls are without a doubt seriously undervalued for the effort that goes into them , and...is a area that will likely se exponential growth one day , most likely long after most of us are dead and gone

Turkey calls are undervalued seriously , big time - look a Mack's prairie wings catalog and the duck and goose call makers 10 pages worth....all want $150 and up for their calls and get it ....and there's are mass produced out of synthetics -- are they asking for too much ?  -- heck no !, they know the value of their product , they ask it , and they get it - for the effort they put into it , they get their $$ out of it , for their trouble

I've seen people have their eyes pop out on a trumpet or box call for $700 , but again that doesn't even compare to ladies who spend $1000 on a purse and don't even bat a eye

That kind of money is going to be a matter of perception with  the value
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

outdoors

OLD GOBBLER   :agreed:
WHEN U THINK OF THE TIME AND EXPENSE THAT IS PUT INTO THESE TURKEY CALLS TO MAKE THE SOUND WE ALL ARE LOOKING FOR ???  $$$$$$$$$ 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

alclark2

I tell my buddies that taking time off work, driving long distances, lodging expenses, food expenses, tags, gear etc... All the money that we spend to hunt and your going to use a junk $15 Walmart slate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

cphill

Quote from: alclark2 on May 07, 2014, 11:11:29 AM
I tell my buddies that taking time off work, driving long distances, lodging expenses, food expenses, tags, gear etc... All the money that we spend to hunt and your going to use a junk $15 Walmart slate?

i agree

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Tbrom

If we are talking about quality"HAND CRAFTED" call. I have no problem dropping $300 dollars on a call. The call in the post is not a high quality call and is noway hand made, by today's standards I would say it isn't even a quality call. If you made that call today and offered it for $50 you would sell very few. I imagine  anyone that owns one would agree. Its all about a name and availability. $280 for a call as ineffective as a herters 102. Not me, no thanks. I have a herters 102, I would sell it any day of the week for $280! Its like paying a hundred dollars for a choke tube that cost $20 in a store ten years ago or paying $200 for tennis shoes that cost $2 to make.

Red Huck

It cost me $30 to 40 just to drive to the closet area I hunt. So I agree  why not spend a little more for a better call? Just ordered a holly box with a jabota lid and got a good deal from TRCallmaker.

Old Gobbler

I think the original poster is in sticker shock from how high that early production call went for , not commenting on price tags of hand made calls

But be forewarned some early production calls will eventually go sky high in price ,  I remember Rodger Latham calls going for $3 at wing supply back in the 1980's they are now worth $60 or more -- as time passes people are going to be surprised how high some of these call shoot up in value -- lesser known , obscure calls are what I would place my money on , but I would collect calls for fun , not for profit - your better playing the stock market for a good secure return - but you never know ....
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Tatr

And you can call them in just the same with a 3$ double reed mouth call.

ltprod

It sold for 275.00
With 15 bids

DirtNap647

I agree but some calls are out of hand

Tbrom

Anyone that has a $300 dollar custom call that wants to trade for a Herters 102 or an old Martin scratch box or a Lohman call. Let me know. A custom coffin push pin would work great! Those are some nice calls!

Tail Feathers

Anybody seen what the old Lohman Thunderdome calls are selling for on Ebay?  Wow.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

870FaceLift

Quote from: alclark2 on May 07, 2014, 11:11:29 AM

:z-winnersmiley:

I've said this, too.  They spend so much on trip preparation, accomodations, etc., only to show up with a cheap call that won't run and squeeks.  Don't get me wrong, I still use an old mass-produced knight and hale every once in a while, but I just don't see the logic in trying to save money on what you're trying to use to call them in with.
Pass it on...

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 15, 2014, 09:19:52 PM
Anybody seen what the old Lohman Thunderdome calls are selling for on Ebay?  Wow.
I have one of each in slate, crystal and ceramic. Those prices are nuts. I paid like $20 for them new. I will part with any of the three or all three, $200 each or all three for $500 LOL!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!