turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mouth call maintenance

Started by alclark2, May 04, 2014, 03:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alclark2

I've been chasing turkeys for 5 years now. I could never get the mouth call to work! I've tried on and off. My cousin bought me a few from a custom call maker in Indiana. I decided I'd make a good effort to learn. I've been running around for the last week with a call in my mouth. I DID IT!!! I didn't think it would be possible.

Anyway, I bought a few cheap calls to hear different cuts and what they sound like. Now, what do I need to do to maintain them? What is the life expectancy of a mouth call?  Any other information I should know about mouth calls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

WV Ridge Reaper

Marc

WV Ridge Reaper,

Great video...

I was just going to post the same question...  My calls tend to last about a season, even though I store them inside, inside a case...

I will be giving this a try this season to see if I cannot make those calls last another season or two.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Terry

Storing them in the fridge, I get 2-3 seasons out of mine.

Jbird22

Best way I have found is to:

- Rinse them with water (ensuring water is getting between each reed) when you get home from hunting.
- Shake them just enough to remove excess water.
- Put them in the freezer until you're ready to use them again.

This will cause the remaining moisture to freeze in between the reeds preventing the reeds from being able to stick. Also, every other week or so during the season (depending on how much I've been running the calls) I'll let them soak 10-15 minutes in ALCOHOL FREE mouthwash (I use Crest Pro Health) before doing the steps listed above. This will keep the bacteria at bay and prevent that dreaded sore throat. I've been doing this for several years now and I will get two seasons out of calls and probably could get more but I usually limit them to two.  Hope this helps!

Marc

JBIRD22,

Repeated freezing does not make the latex more brittle?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

ltprod

+10 on jbird22
Ive been doing this for bout 12 yrs

Jbird22

Quote from: Marc on May 04, 2014, 06:06:24 PM
JBIRD22,

Repeated freezing does not make the latex more brittle?
Nope, I've noticed no ill effects from freezing them.

alclark2

Good video. Thanks for the information so far. I wouldn't have thought about the alcohol free being an issue with any mouth wash.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

VAarrowslinger

Rinse with water , separate the reeds  with a toothpick, dip them in alcohol free mouthwash, dry them out and store in the fridge.

Terry

Is separating the reeds crucial? I have never done it and have seen no ill affects. Unless my reeds stick and I don't realize it.

Jbird22

Quote from: Terry on May 05, 2014, 11:17:16 AM
Is separating the reeds crucial? I have never done it and have seen no ill affects. Unless my reeds stick and I don't realize it.
I'd say yes especially when rinsing them. If not, when saliva dries it will cause the reeds to stick. I dont separate them when I freeze them since the leftover moisture freezing acts as a reed separator. If I was storing them in the fridge then I'd likely separate them.

eddie234

Ill wash mine in warm water and a liquid hand soap, rise it and make sure i get between the reed. Pat dry with a paper towel insert a reed seperator. Let it completely air dry. Once its all dry ill use some talcum powder on the reeds (inside and out). Makes them good as new. In the off season they stay in the fridge. Get 2 to 3 years out of them.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

VAarrowslinger

Quote from: Terry on May 05, 2014, 11:17:16 AM

You need to seperate the reeds to get the full effect from the call. The true rasp and pitch comes from the reeds moving freely

hunter-b

I leave mine in aicohol free mouthwash in the fridge year around .