OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jet JML 1014

Started by waddle13, May 03, 2014, 01:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waddle13

Hi ,

Wanting to learn how to turn calls for Family , friends  , and myself .

Bought a little JML 1014 and it is missing some parts . Trying to track down a manual , faceplate , and spur ( live center ) . From what I understand it's a #2 ?

Lastly , what drill chuck would you recommend ?

Without a doubt , I have a lot to learn . Thank you for your help 

Waddle13  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an 

Spur806

Look up pen state ind. online, or woodcraft.com, I would get a 60deg. Live center, and there are all kinds of chucks to choose from, I think my drill chuck was 50.00 at woodcraft

| Justin |

Here's the link to the manual on Jet's site

#2 is referring to MT2 (morse taper).

The drill chuck I use is a cheapy from harbor freight, though I don't use it often... occasionally when drilling out the centers for duck calls.

For pot calls, my most frequently used chucks are my Nova G3 with various different jaws, and a faceplate that I modified to hold my call blanks through the center hole with a bolt (I can send a pic if you'd like).  For strikers, I turn them between a spur and a live center.

One other thing I wanted to recommend to you... I learned a lot about wood turning in general when I started out by watching Carl Jacobson's YouTube channel.  He doesn't have anything specific to making turkey calls, but a lot of the fundamentals carry over, especially with bowl / box making.

waddle13

Thank you both ,

After years of being into collecting all kinds/types of calls ....it's time to start making my own . To have a friend or family member ( or even myself ) call in animals with something made in our shop would be awesome .

There's a lot to learn , but people like yourselves really help .

Justin , would love to see the pics of your modified faceplate please

waddle13

| Justin |

No problem at all.

This is precisely the reasons that I began making calls... it's a great feeling to call in animals with calls that you've made.

Here's the picture of my modified faceplate for making pot calls.

Essentially, all I did was mount a piece of oak that I had already turned round onto my face plate... I trued up the face and marked the center while it was spinning on the lathe with a pencil.  I then removed it from the chuck and drilled the hole at the drill press through the center I marked, countersinking it with a forstner bit.  I ran the bolt through the hole and re-mounted it to the faceplate.

The chevron marked with pencil is used to index the call's position when it's mounted to the chuck, in case I need to remove and remount it. 

The holes that you see drilled on it are only there because this piece of wood was originally going to be used as a jig to mark my soundholes, that I later repurposed for this.

This is probably my favorite method for turning pot calls on the lathe... the other method that I use less commonly is to drill a large hole in the center of my blank with a forstner bit about half way through, and then expand small jaws on my Nova chuck into that hole...  This would be a good way to go about mounting the call if you didn't want a sound hole in the center of it, but you'll also need a set of cole jaws for when you turn the call around to do the inside.

If you'd like more info on either of these methods, or if there's ever anything I might be able to help you out with, shoot me a PM anytime.

Spur806

Anytime, feel free to ask anything, and enjoying it is the most important thing, I started turning pots with the face plate that came with the 1014 and used screws and neoprene sink washers to hold the blanks, but I wouldn't recommend that, it got a little dangerous, I finally invested in a pen state ind. collet chuck system, and got a 5/8 and 3/4 expanding inserts for it, it made a world of difference, but there are a bunch of different ways to do it, don't worry if you make a bunch of kindling in the beginning, I still do, lol good luck