turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mature tom-no spurs?!

Started by opster246, May 02, 2014, 10:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opster246

I harvested a nice Rio in Kansas with a full fan, 9" beard and no spurs! Not even jake nubbins. Just wondered if this is very common or what might be the cause. No signs of previous injury. He was leading the charge with 2 of his buddies coming on hard to the DSD jake / hen combo. My buddy shot one of the others which was a nice 2 yr old hybrid.

Gooserbat

I have a friend in MO that killed one just like your describing only yesterday.  Just a genetic trait I suppose.

Here is a pic. of it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

DirtNap647

mudhen

Not uncommon, I see several each year, kinda of a bummer, but not really....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

jordanz7935

I Killed a 20 pounder with a nine inch beard 4 years ago that had no spurs whatsoever.

chcltlabz

I killed a Merriam with no spurs about 5 years ago.  We killed another spurless adult on that same trip.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Ross R

My buddy killed an Osceola like that this year.

akp

Killed an Oklahoma Rio a few years ago that had a full fan and a nice beard.  Had little nubs for spurs.  Thought maybe it was an early hatch jake...Not sure.  He was fired up and flew across a creek to attack my jake decoy. 

OldMarine

I killed a nice gobbler about 30 years ago in Tuscaloosa county that had a 11 " beard ,but no spurs.I got cheated !
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan

swamp_bird89

The past three seasons I've killed 3 different Merriams each year with out spurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stinkpickle

CSAW and I shot these two birds about an hour apart on adjoining farms.  Neither had spurs.

renegade19

I've seen two.  Neither of them had any trace of a spur but over 10" beards.  BTW, they both came off of the same ridge.

neal

I've seen it in FL WI and NE
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

turkeyhunter91

A couple year ago I took my brother in law out and he had never killed a bird, well opening morning of season he killed a nice tom, it had a 10in beard full fan and weighted over 20 pound but didn't have a sign of a spur

NECKRINGER

It happens
The more you kill with spurs the closer you get to killing one without