OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Boots

Started by srmturk, May 02, 2014, 09:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srmturk

Brand new pair of Cabelas upland boots supposedly waterproof leaking this morning.  Any recommendations for a good turkey/upland waterproof boot that is comfortable enough to put lots of miles on?  These need to go back.

sasquatch1

Been through them all, if its any type of fabric it will leak! Resorted to a comfortable pair of lacross rubber boots. rubber seems to be the only true waterproof boot.

RS

If I'm not around any swampy areas I like the old LL Bean boots.  I've had the same pair since the mid 90's and sent them back to be resoled once.

howl

Alico hikers and Bridgedale trekker socks with Superfeet insoles. Dress the leather with Obenaufs.

R AJ

Their 800 gram insulated Iron Ridge boot Item # 1K-811928  $139.99
should be there for the long haul and especially if you are on rough terrain.

This boot is the sequel to the model that I liked that is no longer available. Also you may be surprised at what you find on ebay for name brand boots.

The 800 gram insulation is not that bad. They have one in 400 gram but it has material on the sides and yes, just a little bit of briar and brush scratching will make them leakers in wet grass even.

Gooserbat

With foot wear you get what you pay for.  Rubber boots are the  most water proof, but if your like me you like a leather boot much better.  I recommend Danners.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Grunt-N-Gobble

You're going to run into problems with most boots that are made overseas.  The exception would be those made in Europe.

Ive heard that the USA made Danners are pretty good at maintaining their waterproofness, but that can't be said about the overseas versions.  My Danners leaked after a year and I've since then have been coating them with Sno-Seal.

I got tired of sub-par boots, so I went and bought the Cabelas Meindl boots, the ones made in Europe.  Got them on sale so the cost wasn't too bad.

ridgerunner

Danner's I have a pair of Danner High Ground boots and a pair of Danner Pronghorn's.. The high ground are nice for turkey hunting, lightweight, comfortable excellent quality.

Nick8403

I have a pair of justin lace up work boots that I use for hunting not your typical hunting boot but there comfortable and waterproof

njdevilsb

I practically live in my Lacrosse Burley's.  Deer season, turkey season, scouting, food plots, checking cameras, snowblowing, shoveling, I always have them on.  Heavy socks in the winter for deer are fine unless it gets way too cold, then I have a real heavy pair of boots that I bring out.  The UA Heatgear boot sock and my Burley's are all I need in the spring.

Bama turkey hunter

I have a pair of danner high ground boots I walked through the same creek all season without one drop of water getting in they are great boots well worth the money.   :icon_thumright:
Tony

Snoodsniper

Another vote for lacrosse burlys. I've been wearing them for 20+ years. The plain green ones seem to hold up best. I've had them last 5-6 years.  I put a lot of miles on mine each hunting season. They hold up to multi flora rose and thorn apples while rabbit hunting which I do a lot of. I run beagles all winter along with deer hunting and everything else.

dfresh55

Dont buy a boot without gortex plain and simple.  Iv worked at both cabelas and basspro(cabelas 3.5, bps 2.5) for over 6 years. Other than a nice rubber boot, if its not gortex its not worth it! The only thing that comes close is cabellas dry plus. Good thing about both stores is u can return them with no hassle... I know price matters, but with boots you get what u pay for!  All boot companies have their own waterproofing methods but I promise nothing compares to gortex!

REBELYELL

I got a pair of Danner Sharptail snake boots which are similar to the Pronghorns, but without laces. They no longer make them, but I love them. But, I got a pair of Muck Edgewaters before season and i ended up wearing them all year because of the comfort and being a little lighter.

srmturk

Well that's what was so discouraging...these Cabelas uplands did have Gortex.  But anyway...thanks for the suggestions...it's hard to find the sweet spot.  I use Lacrosse rubber boots for deer and wouldn't use anything else.  But because of the amount of walking with turkeys and grouse...it'd be nice to have something light. These uplands from Cabelas were nice and light...but wet too!