turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommend a good cleaning solvent

Started by the Ward, April 30, 2014, 05:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

This is a great thread. Cleaning definitely has a bearing on getting good pattern performance out of our guns. It's been very informative seeing what products and methods others are using! There are so many products available today it would take 100 years to try them all,(not to mention expensive) so it's great to get firsthand knowledge from members who have actually used the stuff.

blueridgegobbler

Gooserbat

I clean mine with Bore Slick foaming bore cleaner and a brush then I wrap and old brush with a dry patch and swab several times until dry.  Then I repeat if I feel it necessary then I swab it a few times with the same brush and a wet patch using denatured alcohol. Then I swab it with a dry patch until dry.   
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WV TURKEY THUG

kroil works good with a scotch brite pad and a drill

Gold Spur

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 01, 2014, 08:00:44 AM
Quote from: Snoodsniper on April 30, 2014, 05:58:15 PM
Kano Kroil.

x3

I use this and mix 50/50 with BoreTech Eliminator. 

But KROIL alone will remove stuff that most other stuff won't. 
.   X4
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

allaboutshooting

I have no idea how many different bore cleaners I've tried and evaluated over the last 20+ years. It seems there is a new one every few months. In the last few years the emphasis has been on environmentally friendly, water based, plant based products that do not harm camo finishes or the finish on wooden stocks, etc. It's a very crowded market and each new product tries to differentiate itself in some way.

The good news is that most work...the bad news is that some take a very long time to work and "..we are an impatient lot..."

Every solvent depends upon both chemical action and disturbance by some agitative action, a good stiff brush. There are of course some foaming products that use chemical action primarily but they work much better when a good stiff brush is used as well.

Some camo finishes are subject to softening by some solvents. The only way to truly protect the finish is to keep the solvent off the finish or wipe it off very quickly.

Many solvents are very expensive and the cost can keep shooters from using them liberally and often.

Although I am open to evaluating new products because in reality that's what I do to make a living, I can't find anything that works better than Hoppe's #9 the original, or if you are willing to wait, the new synthetic version works but takes a good bit more time. All solvents benefit from warm temperatures and patience.

Lastly, a good stiff brass/bronze brush like Brownell's Double Tuff, is one of the best investments that you can make to clean your gun. I buy them by the dozen and when they become worn, I toss them or use them with a good cotton patch over them for final cleaning. I've seen shooters use a $1.00 worn out bore brush on a $2000.00 gun. A dozen good brushes, like those Double Tuff will last the average shooter a year or more. They are a good investment.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

the Ward

Thanks for the info Clark! I guess my biggest concern is the degradation of the polymers in the stocks and trigger group of the vinci with  long term use. I'm careful not to get any on the stocks, as I don't want to get anything on them that will "soften" them with time. Same with the trigger group. I'm not as worried about the camo finish as it will eventually show wear as any painted surface will with use, but I still will try to protect it by not getting overly harsh solvents on it. My problem is I'm messy, lol!

CrustyRusty

And the neater you try to be, the more you make mistakes, never fails :z-dizzy:

Quote from: the Ward on May 13, 2014, 07:16:34 PM
My problem is I'm messy, lol!

the Ward

Quote from: CrustyRusty on May 13, 2014, 09:23:05 PM
And the neater you try to be, the more you make mistakes, never fails :z-dizzy:

Quote from: the Ward on May 13, 2014, 07:16:34 PM
My problem is I'm messy, lol!
Ain't that the truth!!   :bike2:

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer