turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommend a good cleaning solvent

Started by the Ward, April 30, 2014, 05:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

Looking for some recommendations on a good cleaning solvent that is synthetic and camo dip safe. Lately I've been using Cleanzoil with good results. I've used a lot of different solvents over the years, just wondering what other members are using and would recommend trying out? Thanks for any info on this subject!

nyhunter

I'm interested in the same but would add i'd like something that will remove the plastic from the wad cup.

d.winsor

Right now I am using Hoppe's Elite it will not bother a camo finish, it will not remove plastic. After using Hoppe's Elite I use slip 2000 Gun Lube, it is a clp, It removes carbon, copper, lead and plastic.  I could just use slip 2000 but I like to use a straight bore cleaner.  You could just use Slip 2000 gun lube by itself if you wanted too.  Each time you use it your gun is easier to clean. 
http://www.slip2000.com/

the Ward

Thanks for the suggestion and link d.windsor, I will check it out! Keep those recommendations coming!           :thanks:

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

BandedSpur

Shooter's Choice. Removes plastic, never had a problem with dipped guns.

chatterbox

Quote from: BandedSpur on May 01, 2014, 05:52:38 AM
Shooter's Choice. Removes plastic, never had a problem with dipped guns.
This^^^^^^^

WildSpur

I used shooters choice in the past with great results.   Careful with it though...It's potent stuff!

Anymore I spray my barrel with rem oil and let it do its wonders for about 5 minutes.   I will then brush it a few times and then bore snake it.  Everything is now gone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Snoodsniper on April 30, 2014, 05:58:15 PM
Kano Kroil.

x3

I use this and mix 50/50 with BoreTech Eliminator. 

But KROIL alone will remove stuff that most other stuff won't. 

Grunt-N-Gobble

Regular 91% Isopropyl Alcohol will remove plastic from your barrel.  The nice thing about it is that it doesn't leave any residue............ it "flashes off".  This works for those in-between cleanings and shouldn't replace using regular solvent.  I've been using regular Hoppes.

the Ward

Great suggestions Guys! I never thought of using Kroil for cleaning.I will have to try it once I get some more. Grunt-n-Gobble, I too have used the alchohol and it works great. I usually use it on a patch wrapped around a bristle brush to swab the bore between shots when patterning or when I'm at the turkey shoots, as it evaporates quick and cleans out any oil residue.I put it in an old solvent bottle when i go to the shoots so know one knows what i'm using, lol! I have seen the Shooters choice and have heard it really works well removing plastic residue. My problem is that try as I might I always get some all over the place and I worry I will get some on the stock and it will soften the polymer/plastic if it soaks in. Maybe I need to just be a little neater lol! I will check out the boretech eliminator stuff also Ilikehevi13,have not heard of that product before. Thanks to everyone for posting up their suggestions, it has been very helpful!!   :thanks:

the Ward

Thanks for the links hevi13, I appreciate it! I will check them out!