Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

beretta choke sugestions/ recommendations?

Started by Jayhawkeye, February 08, 2011, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayhawkeye

Anyone shooting a Beretta (mobile choke system)?  I picked up a Beretta A390 w/ 24" ported barrel.  Should I buy a PG, IC, TG, OR A JH?  Anyone have any group numbers, etc?  Thanks.
Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!  Gobble, Gobble, Gobble...  Go KU!!!

pullit

I have a Stoeger that takes the same choke system (Stoeger is made by Beretta) and I am running an IC choke in mine.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Jayhawkeye on February 08, 2011, 06:20:06 PM
Anyone shooting a Beretta (mobile choke system)?  I picked up a Beretta A390 w/ 24" ported barrel.  Should I buy a PG, IC, TG, OR A JH?  Anyone have any group numbers, etc?  Thanks.

There are lots of good chokes that will work with that gun. One part of your decision may be the brand and type of shells you intend to shoot through your gun and choke. For example, Federal Flitecontrol Wad shells, in general, do not do well in ported chokes or those with wad catchers or wad stoppers. Those shells tend to do best in non-ported chokes with .670 exit diameters.

A good "deep cleaning" will help regardless of what shell or choke you choose.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

savduck

I shoot a Beretta 390 and have several choke load combinations that are killers.

One combo I like is a Comp N Choke XX full with 2 3/4 Winchester #4 in the grey box. You dont get a ton of pellets in the pattern, but it will hold true enough that I feel comfortable shooting out to 55 yards. I shot this for many years before the wave of Heavy pellets.  This picture is at 30 yards taped off with a 200 foot tape.

Combo two is Kicks 660 with  3" Winchester extended range 5s ( Ive been running this one for the last three years)

Third combo is Indian creek 665 with 3" Winchester Extended Range #6s.

I have had three berettas, two benellis, have two stoegers now. Shot hundreds of turkey loads of all brands and makes. Owned two or three of each of the big name choke tubes. One consistant I find is that all of those guns liked Winchesters and Kicks combination better than all others. Kicks out patterned them all until I got my Indian Creek. The indian creek is something else.

I would suggest a sight for that gun to. If you can find the old Aluminum "ring of fire" sight made by HS strutt. They work great on the straight barrell of the berettas. Put the o ring right over the cap and it should be about dead on at 45 yards.
Georgia Boy

Tranz

Just picked up my new Beretta 3901 today from Gobbler Guns....Rob installed a Hi-Viz sight and one of his Final Strut chokes.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Jayhawkeye on February 08, 2011, 06:20:06 PM

Exact same gun I have. Been whacking and stacking turkeys with it the past 15 years  :z-guntootsmiley:.  I'm shooting a .655 kicks in it with TSS loads.  Have also shot indian creek and comp-n-choke but the kicks gave me tighter patterns with both lead and TSS.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Spuriosity on February 08, 2011, 11:17:00 PM
Quote from: savduck on February 08, 2011, 07:42:59 PM
I shoot a Beretta 390 and have several choke load combinations that are killers.

One combo I like is a Comp N Choke XX full with 2 3/4 Winchester #4 in the grey box. You dont get a ton of pellets in the pattern, but it will hold true out to 55 yards. I shot this for many years before the wave of Heavy pellets.  This picture is at 30 yards taped off with a 200 foot tape.

Combo two is Kicks 660 with  3" Winchester extended range 5s ( Ive been running this one for the last three years)

I have had three berettas, two benellis, have two stoegers now. Shot hundreds of turkey loads of all brands and makes. Owned two or three of each of the big name choke tubes. One consistant I find is that all of those guns liked Winchesters and Kicks combination better than all others. Kicks out patterned them all until I got my Indian Creek. The indian creek is something else.

I would suggest a sight for that gun to. If you can find the old Aluminum "ring of fire" sight made by HS strutt. They work great on the straight barrell of the berettas. Put the o ring right over the cap and it should be about dead on at 45 yards.

I'd sure love to see a picture of that 55 yd pattern with the 2&3/4" gray box 4s.

Me to. I would to see a pic of the pattern.

savduck

Ill take one. I plan to start checking patterns in about two weeks.

Its nothing special, Im not worried about tons of pellets though, Im more worried about the spread of shot at that long distance and how consistant it is. The majority will stay on that 8.5 by 11 paper, 8 or 9 in the head and neck, which I was taught is your maximum range for patterns before all the new heavy shot.  When I used to shoot 3.5 and 3 inch loads the patterns used to start opening up at 35 to 40 yards. Those 2 3/4 seemed to stay together. I actually tried those shells because I was talking to Charlie Boswell in his shop one day and he told me about them. He said he like to shoot 2 3/4.
Georgia Boy

Jayhawkeye

Quote from: Tranz on February 08, 2011, 10:59:21 PM
Just picked up my new Beretta 3901 today from Gobbler Guns....Rob installed a Hi-Viz sight and one of his Final Strut chokes.

how much are the GG Final Strut Chokes?

Tranz

Quote from: Jayhawkeye on February 08, 2011, 11:57:19 PM
Quote from: Tranz on February 08, 2011, 10:59:21 PM

how much are the GG Final Strut Chokes?
$75 - This picture is with the 20ga.

This is the pattern with the GG .655 in my M4.

turkey_slayer

SKFOOTER

Here we go again!! :z-guntootsmiley:  There is no way that a 1.75 oz load of Hevi-13 #6 has 600 pellets in it.  It's more like 410-415.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 09, 2011, 11:56:27 PM
Here we go again!! :z-guntootsmiley:  There is no way that a 1.75 oz load of Hevi-13 #6 has 600 pellets in it.  It's more like 410-415.

Good catch.  Didnt notice that

Jayhawkeye

Quote from: savduck on February 08, 2011, 07:42:59 PM

One combo I like is a Comp N Choke XX full with 2 3/4 Winchester #4 in the grey box. You dont get a ton of pellets in the pattern, but it will hold true enough that I feel comfortable shooting out to 55 yards. I shot this for many years before the wave of Heavy pellets.  This picture is at 30 yards taped off with a 200 foot tape.

Thank for the info...  However, I'm still undecided on a choke.  lol!  i plan to get gun drilled & tapped because i want to USE a FFII.  Although, i could get the Speadbead.  As soon as the snow melts i'll get out and do some shooting...  Have you tried GG's Full Strut choke?

savduck

Nope. Im a man of habit. Killed about 20 birds with the 390 and kicks...so it aint broke and I wont fix it. I retired it two seasons ago, but leave it ready to go in case I take someone without the proper equipment.

Im shooting a Stoeger m2000 now with a red dot and IC 665. Winchester Ext 6s. I havent counted pellets, but I have seen plenty of my own over the years and that indian creek is something else. It out patterns my kicks.

It is keeping about 90% of the pellets in a circle probably 15" diameter at 50 yards.
Georgia Boy