OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old School 1187 choke and shell opinion?

Started by Rem Man, April 25, 2014, 09:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem Man

Hello guys decided to take my old school greenleaf 1187 21 inch barrell for the opener next week. I was wondering what combo has worked? Thanks!

I got lead and hev 13 stocked up and some good chokes just looking for a starting point! I also scoped it with a nikon monarch! And b square.

Grunt-N-Gobble

What chokes do you have?  Which lead shells?  I'm partial to Hevi myself.

Rem Man

Jellyhead .660 and .665.   Sumtoy .665.  Indian creek .665.    I have no 6 turkey thug,  mag blends  and hev i no 6 and 7

Ridge Rooster

Had luck with Rhino .660 and Mag Blends!

Good Luck

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

R AJ

Whatever you decide on be sure to have it sighted in before shooting using a high brass shell at 25 yards to adjust and then try at 40 yards or so.

A hevi #6 may shoot one way through one choke and completely different POI using another choke.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Those are all good chokes.  I like Sumtoy chokes myself and have 2 of them.

Shoot a shell through each choke and see which gives you the pattern you're looking for.  My guess is you'll have a denser 10" core with the mag blends and straight Hevi 7's no matter which choke you use.

budtripp

Quote from: RAJ on April 25, 2014, 12:17:42 PM
Whatever you decide on be sure to have it sighted in before shooting using a high brass shell at 25 yards to adjust and then try at 40 yards or so.

A hevi #6 may shoot one way through one choke and completely different POI using another choke.

this here^^^. I adjusted my sights on my 870 with dove loads then fine tuned them with 3.5in win lead. Go to try some hevi and half the pattern is off the paper. Every load has a mind of its own