turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Barrel Length Opinions

Started by hunter177, April 24, 2014, 11:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter177

I'm sure this has been asked before but I have a Benelli Nova, matte finish & black synthetic stock. It has a 26" barrel. I'll be using it mainly for turkey, waterfowl, and bird hunting. I don't have the cash for multiple guns. What is everyone's opinions on the 26" as an all-purpose barrel length? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
TriStar Viper G2 12 ga.
26" barrel, black synthetic stock
TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke
Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot

Longshanks

26" bbl is great for everything. Also patterns the best out of a number of guns.  I turkey hunt with 21"-24" out of preference but these short barrel guns required a great deal of patterning different shell/ choke combinations to find what works. 26" seems to be a little less finicky and you are also ready for wing shooting,etc without changing guns or barrels. Good Luck!

trackerbucky

I've used a 26" barrel BPS for the past 8 years for everything from turkeys to ducks and for the 15 years before that I used a Mossberg 835 with a 26" barrel.  I've never felt that the barrel length was a liability in any way.

I can't speak to the patterning issue since I never owned a shotgun with a shorter barrel, but I have seen more than a few people on here say that the shorter barrels are more finicky to get to pattern properly.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

TJK68

I love the 26" barrels. Great all around length.

CrustyRusty

Perfect compromise, not too long or short.

DirtNap647

R AJ

I have them from 18.5-28" for all around length the 26" gets my vote.

Tom Foolery

I've used them from 19" - 28" my favorite is an 18" barrel.  :) 

Anything over a 21" barrel feels like I'm carrying a telephone pole through the woods.

26" barrels do pattern good though.

Snoodsniper

I like short barrels for turkey hunting. I have a 21 and 26 for both of my turkey guns. If I could only have one it would be the 26 its much more versatile.

WildTigerTrout

IMO 26" barrels are perfect for an all around shotgun. I like 24" for a turkey specific gun though.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!