OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any "FIX" for the 835 forearm rattle?

Started by decoykrvr, April 18, 2014, 04:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

Well, the god awful rattle of the forearm on an 835 probably cost us a longbeard today.  I had called a bird in for an elderly gentleman, could hear him walking in the leaves on the back side of a small ridge toward us, was going to present himself at about 20 yards.  As I directed the gentleman to move his barrel toward the walking bird, the 835's forearm rattled horribly.  Just shy of the ridge crest, the bird immediately stopped and reversed course away from us.  My friend knew what had happened and said that it wasn't the first time that it had happened to him due to the rattling forearm.  My question is: does anyone have a suitable "fix" for an 835 that doesn't involve manually putting forward pressure on the forearm which is not an option for an older hunter w/ reduced arm strength and reach?

old3toe

Not sure if it'll work but I'm gonna get some of those little felt sliders at wal mart that's sticky on one side and pressing them on the barrel between the forearm and barrel taking up some slack and hopefully deadening the clackin of the two. And hopefully not binding up the slide. Will be a cheap easy fix if they'll stay on. which they should if you clean the areas first with alcohol or denatured alcohol first. I'll follow up on it when i try it. Heck i might have some in there now!! Better try and round em up.

msgobblergetter

Best fix I found was to sell the berg and got a 870.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim570

I used some moleskin that I got to put on my bow.  Cut four small squares and put one square on each side front and back of the inside of the slide on my 835.  Works great.

mikejd

Quote from: msgobblergetter on April 18, 2014, 10:37:58 PM

This is the only true fix for that dreaded rattle.

lowoctane

Quote from: jim570 on April 18, 2014, 11:10:40 PM
I used some moleskin that I got to put on my bow.  Cut four small squares and put one square on each side front and back of the inside of the slide on my 835.  Works great.
Sir: that sounds like an awesome way to quiet the beast!!!   :toothy9:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

WildTigerTrout

+1. Sounds like good advice.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

DirtNap647

R AJ

But come deer season you have a way to call deer. By using cammo tape on both sides of the forearm inside it muffles sound somewhat. You can also put it along the  barrel.

The nature of the beast so by wearing gloves and being careful when swinging the gun it helps the most.

Skeeterbait

You can use moleskin between the slide tube and magazine tube but you run the risk that if it peels up in there and starts to roll up or fold back it could jam the action.  I always placed my hand just behind the forearm and pinched down on the slide rails when I had to swing on a close turkey.  I have now moved to a 935 for turkey hunting.  Same pattern, no rattle.  But honesty in many many years of hunting with the 835 it never cost me a bird because of the rattle.  It always performed flawlessly.

RAY

I remember the old mossberg 500's with that honey stained stock used to rattle. But my New 500 slug gun and my 835 are tight. Not sure what everyone else has?

allaboutshooting

The new 835 is very tight with little if any side to side play in it. By the time I've completed my evaluation, I'll have had a few seasons worth of shells through it, so we'll see it it changes over time with use. I'll make a that a part of my evaluation as well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

howl

Buy a new one. Used only for turkeys and not racking it hard to load, you should get about a decade out of one before it gets loose.

WildSpur

So mossberg may have fixed this on the new guns?  If so that would be great!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

goblr77

The newer 835's don't rattle any more than an 870. I have both.