turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Owl Call ?

Started by JALA Strut, April 17, 2014, 03:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JALA Strut

I've got a Hoot'n Stick and I'm getting better at it but just not quite right.  How do you position your lips on the call for the best owl sounds and how do you blow the call for the best owl sounds?  It's my first time using a reed style owl call...Thanks for any advice/help

bamagtrdude

Just found this on YouTube - http://youtu.be/As_djxF2ntk

Is that your call?
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

JALA Strut

Yes that's the call I have.  I've seen that video before and it's amazing how easy James Harrison makes it look and how good he sounds.  It's a great call and I just have to figure it out a little bit better...Can't quite get how to position my lips on the call and quite how to blow it for the best sound.

bamagtrdude

10-4; I don't have this owl hooter, but from the video, it looks like he's putting his top lip "in" the mouth of the call (at least some of his top lip), and then resting it on his bottom lip, and then (obviously) blowing air through it...  I have an old Knight & Hale owl hooter that I basically use the same technique with; but, with it, you can give it a lot of air...

Sorry I can't help out more; maybe someone who's got one can better help you out!  It sounds fantastic, though!
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

JALA Strut

No problem...thanks anyways!  I'll keep messing with it...and checking out that video some more.  I'm pretty close just not quite there with it.

paturkeyhntr

I just received one of James' hooters and found that how I cup my hands and how tight I keep them makes more difference in the sound than what I do with my lips or how hard I blow.  I have to squeeze my hands pretty tight to get the smooth low sound I like.  I also find that I can't leave any gap in my hands for the air to get out.  Seems like my call responds better to the back pressure.  Hope this helps.

JALA Strut

PA, that's what I'm finding with mine as well...they do sound nice!

R.W. Mackey

Any reeded Owl Call requires a lot of back pressure. Start by choking the call completely off, then
Open your hands up just a little to vary the tone. Put it to your lips like your drinking out of a beer bottle. Then get your cadence down, really is simple once you find out how to do it.

RW
Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk