OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 20 ga. Choke/Pattern Comparisons

Started by Extremesolo, April 15, 2014, 08:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extremesolo

I patterned my Mossberg 20 ga. (with a polished barrel) with both a pure gold .555 and an undertaker XTHD .582 with federal HW #7, hevi #7 and hevi #6.  My barrel has been polished as well.  The following are my results in a 10" circle at 40 yards.  Just thought I would pass this info along in case it could help anyone else in their choke/load combo and approximately what to expect.

Pure Gold .555
HW #7     86
Hevi #7   122
Hevi #6   81

Undertaker XTHD .582
HW #7    104
Hevi #7   127
Hevi #6   100

I think all 3 of these shells give me a legitimate 40 yard turkey killer.  I was really hooping that I could get a little better numbers form the HW #7's.  The gun is primarily set up for my 11 year old son to use so I do not need it to be super tight but I was hoping for HW numbers in the 120-130's.  I see where others have gotten significantly better numbers than this.  Should I try a .575 non-ported undertaker, a tightwad, or just leave well enough alone and quit wasting money shooting paper and go kill some birds? 

BigStrutter

IMO those are good numbers. It will kill turkeys all day long. How do I know?....because I used the same setup (.582 & .575) with Winchester double x for years with no problem. Now get out there and knock down some birds!
Good luck!   
"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

Extremesolo

I am thinking I am going to leave the undertaker in the gun for now.  Which load would you be hunting with based on the numbers I posted?

BigStrutter

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

R AJ

I do think a choke in the 575 range could give a better pattern . As far as wasting money it will at least allow for the sale of one choke or  one of these may be the ticket for the next hot new shell to come out.
ie. the Win LB XR in 20 gauge for next year. :begging: :begging:

surehuntsalot

I would go with the Undertaker and the 6's myself
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

steveo

Don't overthink it !! You are good to go, you will kill turkey's dead with that set up! Shoot what works don't need super high numbers to kill just need consistency ..... And patience to let them get close and then let em have it in the head!.