turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Henned up or what?

Started by rmh611, April 14, 2014, 01:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmh611

West TN toms whippin my butt. Plenty of hens but they are no making much noise. Was on gobblers for the last three days and everytime I called to them they went the other way or did not gobble again. First thought is the calling, been turkey hunting for 25 years and killed plenty, I tried soft and agressive. Only thought is the hens don't want competition so they go the other way and the gobbler follows.
Any thoughts? No calling and just scratching is my next stratagy, hard to do that when the wind is blowing 20. Thanks!

wisconsinteacher

One thing that has worked for me is to get really close to the flock and then call.  If you can come from behind, the tom will be between you and the real hens.  If you are close enough, he may come back to pick up the lost hen, or the other hens may come back to kick your tail bringing old tom with.  Good luck and stay on 'em.

taylorjones20

They have been tough for me too in West TN.  But I managed to kill one at 10:45 am when he left his hen.  Killed another one that was just with another gobbler.  And took a buddy and found one alone that came in running to the thunder chicken. 

Calling hasn't worked much at all.  They are not even responding to a call.  Trying to be in the right place at the right time (get where they want to be and ambush them) is about all I can think of. 

It should be getting about right within the next week.  Starting to see a few hens alone so hopefully the gobblers will be looking...

Good Luck!
Alive only by the Grace Of God