OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jimmy Schaffers mad hen crystal call

Started by scoot12, April 13, 2014, 07:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoot12

Just wanted to show a pic of a new pot Jimmy sent to me to at least try out for the youth mentor hunt.  Yesterday morning used it to call in 3 jakes but my 11 year wanted to pass so he let them walk.  They gobbled all the way in.  This call is a walnut pot with jatoba and maple laminates and crystal over a glass soundboard that is wrapped in vinyl copper.  Out of all the pots I own it has one of the most urgent yelps and clucks I have ever heard.  Anyway just wanted to say congrats to RebelYell for harvesting a great bird yesterday morning using this call he just got also.  Scoot

letinmfly

I concur on the sound of the call Scoot!!  Great sounding call and congrats to Jody on his longbeard!!
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

hunter22

Nice looking call Scoot. Sounds like you guys had a great time.

TauntoHawk

scoot I'll have you know that after talking with you and then Jim that I have an identical twin call being sent out tomorrow by Mr Schaffer.. Can't wait to get my hands on it
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

REBELYELL

I received my Mad Hen yesterday in the mail and killed this bird the first time I pulled it out of my vest. There are calls that sound better to me, but this call just has a certain sound they eat up. This is one bad azz call, just wish I had it the whole season. Jimmy is a super nice guy and I love this call, but the best part of the deal was this trough call below that he sent my son who has Autism. Jimmy makes a killer call and he is one hell of a guy. The purrs, clucks and tree yelps on this trough call sounded so good I ordered me one. It's a perfect call to start out with when his feet are still on the stick.

Footballer

I've been close to pulling the trigger on that call!

WillowRidgeCalls

Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

REBELYELL

Quote from: Footballer on April 14, 2014, 01:58:51 PM
I've been close to pulling the trigger on that call!

Better be pulling it before his turkey season opens.

sbbow

How do you get ahold of him ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeStaten

http://www.oakridgecustomcalls.com/

I just ordered one.  Very nice guy and his calls sound great.  I also have his aluminum pot call and it is flat out nasty, especially if you are looking for a raspy call.

Gobblerstopper

Jimmy is one of the best guys you will meet and his calls are top notch!

TauntoHawk

mines in the mail as we speak, he has a video of him running it in the woods on his facebook page for those interested.

It sounds like a nasty old raspy hen, the kind that always steals the gobbler away just as he's closing in.

I'm ususally one for a sweeter, cleaner sound but admit the sometimes you need that nasty chain smoking hen sound
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MikeStaten

I've got his Pissed Off Hen coming my way (pics below).  He played both over the phone for me.  Both sounded great but the Pissed Off Hen was a slightly higher pitched and less raspy than the Mad Hen. 

If you are looking for a nice raspy call, try his aluminum.  Hard to describe the sound but it sounds awesome, sort of a hollow/chamber sound that rolls over into a nice rasp.  That description probably doesn't do it justice but it sounds great. 

How do you post soundfiles?  Can I do it from my android phone?

TauntoHawk

I know some guys here have expressed interest in Jimmy's newest call. It looks great, sounds awesome in the sound files but can it produce in the woods? I got this call for my wife, she wanted a call to commemorate our hunts together and for me to use when calling her bird this year.

She only had to hunt two days this year because the mad hen is a flat out killer. She tagged out on a pair of 22 and 20lb toms from the same field a few days apart.