OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbling a little off this year

Started by SwampSniper, April 09, 2014, 07:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampSniper

Is anyone experiencing odd gobbling patterns this year? I'm hunting a property that I have hunted now for 5 years and the amount of gobbling this spring has been sparse at best. Still seeing some strutters and have taken a bird already that never gobbled but came in silent other than spitting and drumming. I'm wondering if the overwhelming amount of heavy rains we have experienced this spring have affected the birds. Much of the wooded areas have some level of standing water. Has this pushed the birds and potential predators to higher ground concentrating more game in less area which is leading to birds being silent or is this just an oddball year? Thoughts? I hunt in North Central FL around Gainesville.

JHoyle

Im about 2hours south of u and seeing the same thing. Seeing plenty of birds but not hearing much at all.

headbanger

I hunt a couple of properties in middle GA and I am having the same issue. In three weekends (all I get to hunt due to work) I have heard 3 gobbles from the roost and 0 after flydown. Birds are still there as they have always been but not as talkative as previous years. Strange behavior indeed!

Muzzy61

I hunt just outside of gainesville also ( Lacrosse) and I've had the same issue. Still seeing lots of birds, but in areas I haven't seen them before. Very little gobbling.  I agree, i think the large amount of rain and standing water has them acting a little off.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

panhandlehunter

I'm glad it's not just me!  I am in the panhandle and it has been an unusual year for me as well.  Haven't heard very much gobbling.  I get mixed reports.  A few people say they hear some gobbles on the roost but I haven't really heard any solid gobbling since opening weekend.  Some people are still killing birds but they are coming in silent most of the time.  I killed one in the afternoon and he never gobbled, just strutted to me.  Definitely has been a strange season.

birdyhunter

Quote from: SwampSniper on April 09, 2014, 07:29:01 AM
Is anyone experiencing odd gobbling patterns this year? I'm hunting a property that I have hunted now for 5 years and the amount of gobbling this spring has been sparse at best. Still seeing some strutters and have taken a bird already that never gobbled but came in silent other than spitting and drumming. I'm wondering if the overwhelming amount of heavy rains we have experienced this spring have affected the birds. Much of the wooded areas have some level of standing water. Has this pushed the birds and potential predators to higher ground concentrating more game in less area which is leading to birds being silent or is this just an oddball year? Thoughts? I hunt in North Central FL around Gainesville.
also in the gainesville area in lake butler. I can verify that gobbling has been minimal at best. Killed one opening day that gobbled his head off and then let one get away today that gobbled well but those have been the only two. Every other morning has been one or two gobbles on the roost then nothing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Rokhal07

They are a little behind here too. Gobble great on roost and then shut up when fly down. Be on the lookout for the first "educational post" of "the gobbling isn't off it's just turkeys being turkey".

SwampSniper

Thanks for the feedback guys! You know, when the woods are silent for too long, you start to get a little paranoid about your property and at times your calling.

FL-Boss

Same thing here...  not as loud in the woods as normal. Seems also like a few less birds overall.  I hunt just north of Lake City.. near the FLA / GA line.  The amount of rain is something I have never seen in the last 25 years of hunting here.  maybe it has something to do with it. Biblical type rains.. another 4.5 inches came this week...  unbelievable.   

SwampSniper

You are right about the heavy rains when we get them. Three to four inches during every event. In the five years I have hunted this property, I have never seen this amount of water standing in the woods at this time of year. Looks like September and October amounts of water. And then there's the mosquitoes, whew boy, thank you for the Therma Cell.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

FL-Boss

They were on fire this morning... 2 birds about .25 mile apart. Gobbled about 50 times each.. But it only lasted for 45 min .. then they completely shut down.   These birds rarely gobble at all after 10am...   but today it didn't last even til 8am.   At least they were making some noise... but man I wish these birds gobbled most the day like in some parts of the country.