OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3.5 vs 3" ?

Started by Hitman 23, April 08, 2014, 09:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadbuck

If you do the math you will see that if using #6 hevi shot, there are 57 more pellets in a 2.25 oz load versus a 2 oz load. This is why a lot of 3" guns shoot as well as a lot of 3.5 inch guns. To each his own.

Heller

My gun patterns 3s better

surehuntsalot

I have 3.5" guns,but with the ammo today a 3" is overkill.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Hawk76

I see no point in 3.5".  If you're shooting at 45 or less, what difference does it make.  The shell itself has more to do with its outcome than length.  With HTL and TSS, shooting 3.5 is just punishing yourself.  Too each his own.  Its amazing how I killed several birds (one 28# 10.5" beard) with a 2.75" shell of number 5s.  Only reason I switched to 3" was due to the lack of quality turkey shells in 2.75".

Gooserbat

I'm of the philosophy that bigger is better. I shoot 3.5" and it puts up 30=40 more pellets in the 10" than a 3".  Both will do the trick at 40. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Hawk76

I'm of the philosophy that bigger is better. I shoot 3.5" and it puts up 30=40 more pellets in the 10" than a 3".  Both will do the trick at 40.

This is true to a point.  There is the law of diminishing returns.  You can kill deer with a 243/270/30-30/30.06, but a 375 or 416 Rigby is bigger.  Why aren't they used?  Or better yet, why not shoot a 10ga for these birds?  Definitely a bigger payload. 

I'm very thankful we can have these discussions (only in America).

Good Luck

paboxcall

Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 10, 2014, 09:13:02 PM
I have 3.5" guns, but with the ammo today a 3" is overkill.

:agreed:

About 15-20 years ago, I patterned exactly four rounds of 3.5" in my NEF single shot.  Never again even though the gun is chambered for them.  3.5" shells don't make them deader. 
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Old Gobbler

A  3.5 shell is essentially a 10 gauge shot charge crammed into a lengthened 12 ga  case , it has a longer shot charge , and a higher pressure making for a sometimes tricky combination to get to work well , but when it works well .. It works well then you have a affordable easy to carry n the woods virtual 10 gauge that is going to kick the snot out of you , but who cares .....it will kill gobblers with authority

My buddies make fun of me cause of my 12 pound 10 gauge gun , but I'm quick to point out that they all shoot lightweight rebadged 10 gauges , in the form of  a  3.5 12 --

A 10 gauge shell is a shorter shot charge than a 3.5 /12 shooting at a lower psi that a 12 , that's why they shoot good

A 3 inch 12 gauge shell is a shorter shot charge shooting at a lower psi

A 3.5 inch 12 gauge shell is a longer shot charge shooting at a higher psi , so naturally it's going to be somewhat more tricky to figure out , but I recommend turkey hunters take a little effort to look into it if they have the time

Good luck , safe hunting -- Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

DirtNap647

I think the 3 1/2 hit a little harder to

Old Gobbler

A 2.25 ounce 12 gauge load shoots give or take around 1200 fps , a 10 gauge 2.25 is doing 1240 , a slight difference in velocity

The popularity and versatility of the 3.5 12 is the reason for the decline in the 10 gauges , the 12 is simply a more practical alternative these days
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

duckkillerclyde

I know that waterfowl isn't the same as turkey but I'll shoot ducks and geese all day long with 2 3/4" just because I'm cheap.....or poor.   I can't remember.

FL-Boss

Same thing applies to the death of the 16GA... when the 20ga came out in 3in... bye bye 16ga.

duckkillerclyde

Quote from: FL-Boss on April 12, 2014, 08:09:25 PM
Same thing applies to the death of the 16GA... when the 20ga came out in 3in... bye bye 16ga.

My second gun was a Remington model 31 in 16ga.    I can never find shells unless it's #7 1/2 lead.   

L.F. Cox

Quote from: Heller on April 10, 2014, 07:21:48 PM

If it does you have a choke problem.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: L.F. Cox on April 13, 2014, 06:47:34 AM
Quote from: Heller on April 10, 2014, 07:21:48 PM

If it does you have a choke problem.

I would say from experience that to be a very accurate statement.  Probably nothing wrong with the choke or choke you have tried either.  But from my experience it don't take much effort at all to make a heavier 3.5" load shoot better with more hits in a 10" and 20" circle at 40yds or a turkey or whatever else you are shooting at.