OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Making a wingbone

Started by Uchee creek gobblers, April 06, 2014, 07:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uchee creek gobblers

I'm working one my first wingbone and I was wondering what kind of glue to hold the joints. I've seen some that look like they have thread wrapped at the joints, what is it exactly?
ALABAMA NOGGIN' KNOCKER

Bram

I use 5 min 2 part epoxy..joints are thread wrapped. Hope this helps :you_rock:

alloutdoors

I use two part epoxy first to join the bones, then I build up and sculpt the transition at the joints with ApoxieSculpt, I've also used a moldable carpenters epoxy for that in the past.

Uchee creek gobblers

Okay that was something I was curious about was if you put anything on the joints to taper them down. Where do I get the thread for thread wrapping?
ALABAMA NOGGIN' KNOCKER

alloutdoors

You want to get rod wrapping thread. I personally like ProWrap from MudHole. I wrap with size A, which is the really thin stuff. I use ProKote (also from MudHole) to cover the wraps.

FinBonZ

I do mine just like they said.  I use Flex Coat but have heard a lot of people liking Prokote.  As far as thread size, you may want to start with a little larger diameter of thread (D) at first and then work your way down towards an "A". 

If you do use Flexcoat/ Prokote you will need to buy or make a call turning jig.  These finishes dry extremely slow and will need to be turned slowly for a few hours or the finish will sag.