Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Old Single Shot 12ga pattern SURPRIZED!

Started by TJK68, April 05, 2014, 10:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJK68

I recently lost my Dad and I got his old single shot 12ga, it belonged to his Dad before him. The best I can find out the gun is over 80 years old, still very solid in great shape. I decided to see how she patterned, as it would be special to me to take a bird with it. The gun has a 30" full choke barrel, and shoots 2 3/4" shells and has not been fired in years. I found some Federal Flight Control #5 Turkey loads for it today and went to see what she would do. I set up at 30 yards and after the first shot I was very surprised by the results, surprised in a good way. At 30 yards I got 164, 155 and 161 pellets in a 10" circle,  with all 3 shots being just a little low. I think I may have to clean this Ol'Gal up and carry her a couple days, I was pretty impressed. Here is a pic of one of the shots, nice consistant pattern on all 3 shots.

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

memert116

Skeeterbait

Sorry to hear about your dad.  Taking that gun hunting will be a little like taking your dad and granddad on the hunt with you.  That is what the flight control wad is really meant for, making a turkey gun out of fixed choke guns.  That pattern will work all day long.  You, your dad and granddad all go get you a gobbler.  :icon_thumright:

TJK68

Thanks guys, like I said I was pleasantly surprised by the pattern the Ol' girl threw. Yep I am sure she will have some time in the woods this year.

BandedSpur

Sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine during turkey season last year. What kind of gun is it? Got a pic? Good luck; I hope you get one with her.

Twowithone

Sorry for your loss. That's a good pattern and when your turkey hunting your pap will be there when you harvest that gobbler with the shotgun. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

surehuntsalot

take it hunting and get a bird with it
Dad and Grandpa will be smiling
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jakebird

I love history, nostalgia, and sentiment. Love to see a pic of you toting a gobbler out with the old gun. It will be super special when you do!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

TJK68

Quote from: BandedSpur on April 06, 2014, 08:29:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine during turkey season last year. What kind of gun is it? Got a pic? Good luck; I hope you get one with her.

Not sure who really made it, heard a couple things. It has "Columbia" written on the side in fancy letters, and says "12 GA CHOKE" written on the top of the barrel in front of the breech. That is the only writing on the whole gun. Pretty sure not an expensive shotgun, but it is solid and seems well made. I will try to post a pic in a bit of it.

tomstopper

Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 06, 2014, 02:59:16 PM
take it hunting and get a bird with it
Dad and Grandpa will be smiling
:agreed: Good luck....

243wssmfreak

Some of the oldies are goodies good pattern I've seen some new guns not shoot that good post a pic when u get one with it :fud: :OGani:

Dtrkyman

Good luck, I took an old single barrel that my grandfather left me out one year, the gun patterned terribly. waaaaay off POA.  But I got it done on a really nice bird!

Try some heavyweight 7s if they make a 12ga 2 3/4!

Condolences!