OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke----Tighening A Pattern--Help

Started by gatrapper, February 08, 2011, 05:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paturkeyhntr

I use a Mossberg 835 and got patterns much like yours until I used the JellyHead + Hevi Shot #6 combo.  Then it patterned nice and tight at 40 yards.

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: TrkyHntr on February 08, 2011, 11:02:48 PM
As the others have said. Shoot a bigger piece of paper, then draw your circle around the most dense part of the pattern. Looks like you're shooting way low and to the right.

Shane

:icon_thumright:

turkey_slayer

Quote from: slickyboyboo on February 09, 2011, 09:43:28 AM
Quote from: gatrapper on February 08, 2011, 09:32:21 PM
Are you sure?  Kicks says no hevi shot or steel shot. 

Kicks chokes are fine with hevi, one of my best shooting handloads, I shoot through a Kicks and my 870, with no issues and great patterns. The no Hevi this is just that Chuck Boswell seems to have beef with Hevi, because he says you can shoot Win Extended Range through his chokes, which is very hard also, and nowhere as soft as lead. Also it seems that Win is his sponser, and has been for a while, so his no Hevi, but go ahead and shoot the Win Extended, is his way of promoting the Win shells.

If you talk to Chuck in length, it seems he really has no clue, and will condridict himself many times in the same conversation. He will say Hevi is a no through his chokes, but will say that Nitros are OK, and when you tell him that Nitros are Hevi, he will say you can't shoot those either. He is very confused.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

sugarray

As the others have said. Shoot a bigger piece of paper, then draw your circle around the most dense part of the pattern. Looks like you're shooting way low and to the right.

Shane

Exactly what I thought.  Your POA and POI are off.  You are low and right.  Shoot a 3x3 foot piece before spending your money on any further chokes.  You will be pleasantly surprised at your pattern.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: JohnDoe on February 09, 2011, 09:50:48 AM
Quote from: gatrapper on February 08, 2011, 09:32:21 PM
Are you sure?  Kicks says no hevi shot or steel shot. 

Shoot it. I have run many a Hevi round thru my Comp-n-Choke 675 and no sign of damage.
Also my Kicks 680.
John

I have shot it through my c-n-c as well but I have seen a few of those blow up so I would be careful  :icon_thumright:

gatrapper

Just spoke to Kicks and this is what I was told.

*Since Im using Winchester XR I need to open my choke up.  Due to the nature of the load I am probably over choking the gun and that is throwing my pattern off pretty bad.  The guy I spoke to also shot a Beretta 390 and he stated that he had similar problems and once he opened his choke up to a .660 the problems went away.  

Going to box up the choke and mail it out to have them switch out the choke.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

VAHUNTER

Quote from: anthonyjhallen on February 09, 2011, 10:26:06 AM

Shane

:icon_thumright:

i would also go with a .660 or .665 and H13
Good things come to those who wait

BigPeck215

before you invest in more chokes or shells, i would shoot at a 30"x30" piece of paper and aim directly into the middle and see where the majority of your pattern ends up, i have a feeling your shooting at least 6" low from point of aim, do this at 30yds and once you correct the point of aim issue then shoot a pattern so that it is in the center of the paper and then count your holes, i believe that you may already have a combo that will work well for you but your gun just doesnt shoot straight