turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trough calls

Started by Ky Gobbler, April 03, 2014, 02:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ky Gobbler

I was interested in trying to make a couple trough calls, but I can't seem to find much on google. Would anyone care to share the basics of how to make one of these calls?
Thanks in advance.

callmakerman

I used my router and router table when I was building them. The frame was in two pieces and the sound chamber and trough were both cleaned  out with a 1/2" router bit. You can buy aluminum bar stock at Lowe's in 1/2 or 3/4 width to use as your striking surface and Ace usually has some brass or copper bar stock that can be used as well. If your looking for slate or glass you'll have to find someone that will cut the glass and Brookside sells small sheets of slate that can be cut with a Dremel tool and cutoff wheel. If you use a router use a push block as some dope I know and I wont say who it was (ME) thought he  could hold the wood and run it through with out a push block. Lets just say a trip to the hospital was in order and thankfully he still has his fingers.

mastevt

If this is the style your talking about, I just came out with this one.  It's a two piece design.  All cut out with a router.  It's similar to ones I've seen out there, but I always want to be different, so I designed mine with a soundboard.  Not knowing any typical measurements from one, I started blind.  Build about 1/2 dozen different proto's and tested them.  I finally came up with this design.  I had a local hardware store cut the glass for me, and contacted my supplier on the slate, and he cut the size and quantity I wanted.  It turned out so well, I sold out my first run, and I just ordered another 100 pieces.  In the pic, you can get an idea of how it's designed, Have at it, and if you need a contact on the slate, shoot me a pm.