OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sealing green wood help

Started by bnew17, March 15, 2011, 01:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnew17

Ive got access to a good bit of dogwood on some family property. Id like to cut some down to dry and later use for calls. What should i seal it with? I know latex paint is not reccomended but i remember theres something else that people use. Also would anything flat sawn work for paddles?

handcannon

smurf

While all wood cracks I have had less from dogwood than any other.  But like they said wax is good. :z-paddy-smiley113:
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

cleanslate

I have heard gooe things about ancoor seal. No real world experience myself, just what I heard from other people.

bnew17

Quote from: Gitzit69 on March 15, 2011, 03:13:13 PM
I buy wax blocks at the hardware store, in the canning isle. Melt them down and use a cheap paint brush to seal the ends.

Never noticed wax blocks before but i will look more closely next time. Im guessing i will need to cut my blanks to size and seal the ends with the wax?

lightsoutcalls

You must have read something I didn't about latex paint...   I'm not going to pay the price for anchor seal, and don't have time to melt wax when I am cutting wood.  I use old latex paint and slap on 2-3 thick coats on the end grain.  It doesn't completely stop the checking, but decreases it for sure.  I know of lots of folks that use latex paint... just curious why it is not recommended? 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

bnew17

Well ive read its not reccomended on CCO, and ive tried it myself. I put several coats on the end of some eastern red  cedar, dog wood, sycamore, and holly and i would say that 75% of it wont be usuable due to cracks.

The cedar held up pretty good but everything else is pretty much garbage.

Crutch

Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

lightsoutcalls

I've used latex paint on honey locust, walnut, sycamore, black jack oak and persimmon logs with good results.  I've done cedar blocks (firewood length) and some mulberry as well. 
I'm not saying it is the best thing you can use, but when it is what you have, it works better than not sealing them at all. 

bnew17

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on March 16, 2011, 11:05:56 PM
I've used latex paint on honey locust, walnut, sycamore, black jack oak and persimmon logs with good results.  I've done cedar blocks (firewood length) and some mulberry as well. 
I'm not saying it is the best thing you can use, but when it is what you have, it works better than not sealing them at all. 

Maybe i didnt put enough coats on it. HOw many do you usually put. I think i used 2.

West Augusta

I also use old latex paint.  Usually 5 or 6 thick coats.  Then I write the type of wood and date on the end with magic marker.  That way I know how long it has been drying and the type of wood while still in the rack.
I have gotten some minor checking but not bad.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

lightsoutcalls

I use 3-5 coats usually.  I don't have a formula, just try to slop it on thick several times as I am doing other stuff.  I use paint that has thickened, so that may be part of the reason it works better.  This is paint that is several years old and wouldn't be good for painting your walls. 

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions