OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Killing Issues

Started by nickp, April 02, 2014, 08:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickp

Hey guys.  Well, I did something that I said would never happen again (once before).  I shot a turkey and he got away.  I won't say that he was wounded, he was in really bad shape.  He won't be gobbling ever again, and I hate that.  The shot was at 35 yards roughly (limb shot, 23 steps to the tree and about 40 feet up, but I was on the ridge edge and his tree was in the branch, so only 10 feet higher than me) with an open shot.  I had an open ridge behind him with no other hunters there, just my cousin beside me.  He was henned up and wouldn't leave the limb so I decided to take the shot.  The gun was a NEF 10 gauge with Comp-N-Choke and the shell was Federal HW #7's.  At twenty yards I had a softball pattern and and beyond 40 by a good measure I was getting 70 in a paper plate, so 100 at 40 was not a question.  I shot, his wings folded, and head first he went.  I got up to high five my cousin and when we turned around he was moving through the thick branch awkwardly.  No shot could reach him.  Have any of you had this happen?  If so, did you ever find that bird or get a second shot to figure out what happened?  I didn't flinch, was just below the head, in my mind before and right after it was a done deal.  I cannot wrap my head around this.  POA was on when shooting targets.  I am going back this weekend after the morning hunt to look for him again.   

Fullfan

Don't gobble at me...

turkey_slayer

Wasn't April fools yesterday?

Longshanks

Sure hope this is a joke. But there are some numbnuts out there that do this kind of thing. This would be my response:

Bad idea to shoot a turkey out of a tree. Allot more to turkey hunting than shooting the turkey. Focus on the finer aspects of the sport and you will be more successful. Position setup, Calling, Ethical Shots, etc. Roost shooting turkeys is not allowed on any of my farms and frowned upon all over the country. Lesson learned. Show the wild turkey a little respect. Good luck next time.

nickp

Ha ha I see that this one may run away a little too quickly, so I will go ahead and say it.  Late April Fools!!! I wasn't able to get on here yesterday for it.  My cousin gave me the idea ha ha!!  I actually haven't had a solid shot at one yet, but I have been getting on them so that in itself has been fun.

d.winsor

I was going to ask if you were trolling

Dtrkyman

Not my cup of tea, but if legal who cares if he tree shot one?  I f you are stealthy enough to creep into range and can legally take the bird on roost who am I to say you shouldn't do it.

I have been close enough many times and elected not too, I like the show personally.

Here in Illinois it is Illegal until after 7 am!

And I know its a joke!

alclark2

Haha. I thought about getting on here to talk about my "South Dakota rifle hunt" as joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

DirtNap647

learn2hide

roost shots are really skill-less...sneaking up on a bird in the dark isn't cool....decoying ducks and getting them to land in your spread and then shooting em on the water or ground at least means you did your work and completely fooled the birds...same with decoying or calling in a turkey, you get him in, you win/he loses take em.  My $.02.

Very funny joke BTW...NOT  :goofball: :bike2:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!