News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

latex tension

Started by Bottomland, March 31, 2014, 10:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mwr

featheridge

LOL..... ON A HAND JIG YOUR STRETCHING 2.000 OF LATEX,,,, ON A PRESS YOUR STRETCHING .625 AT MOST,,, BIG DIFFERENCE

featheridge

YOUR WORNG JOE !!!!!!!!!!

crossbow1968

thanks thad for clearing this up

mwr

Must be the stretch Boss?:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

TRKYHTR

Quote from: featheridge on April 03, 2014, 08:33:34 PM
YOUR WORNG JOE !!!!!!!!!!

OK if this is Thad I will bow to your knowledge. Now can you explain it in terms that I might even be able to understand?

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Bottomland

im lost.  i just bought a hand jig from thad and i want to know what i should stretch the latex too.  sorry i opened this can of worms

Houndstooth Game Calls

I get what Thad is saying in the press the reed is streched using only the front quater of the latex in a hand jig your streching the whole set of reeds not only the front but the middle and back also. But in a that hand jig when you use your pliers to crimp the front of the frame you release the clamps tension is released and your back to the gap distance is the gap distance cause your going to put the back tension in then. The only way theres a difference is if you clamped further up the frame with your pliers..

featheridge

On a press you crimp left corner,,, from there to stretcher is about .95 of Material,,, Your only stretching .95 of material,,,,,,, on a hand jig from clamp to clamp is 1.875 of material,,,, now stretching .25 on both is same distance but the one on press is Tighter because there is less material to stretch,,,,,, trust me,,,,, when I first designed the hand jig I thought it should be the same but it isn't,,,,

featheridge

I typically stretch .180 on a Press ,,, on a Hand jig to get about same sound I Stretch to

Sadler McGraw

I could have clarified this up sooner.  If you have ever had to  hand stretch calls on a sheet of plexi glass and scotch tape, you would understand. 

The best anology I can use is for you to grab a 3" rubber band off a desk at work, pinch the ends with your thumb and pointing finger and stretch your hands apart.   Now pinch the rubber band in the middle and try to stretch your fingers apart the same distance.

Everytime I have had a problem with calls I have been able to call Thad, and 99 44/100 % of the time he has explained or fixed my problem, usually I am like how could I have been so stupid.

But there are things that affect stretch of a call more than just the press or jig.  What I mean is from year to year or batch of latex or frames to the next.

My personel cutt/ Cackle calls are stretched to 225 on the press with a standard high crown frame with adhesive, if i make that same call with non adhesvive frames that I have sprayed with my own glue ( for contest calls), the stretch will be in the 180's.  these calls will last for years!!

Sadler McGraw Custom Calls
World and Grand National Calling Champion

Gooserbat

I'm glad Thad and Saddler joined in.  I learned something, Thanks Guys.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TRKYHTR

I agree and am glad this has been cleared up. I was wrong. I was thinking the the jig and the press was stretching the same length of latex and it's not. The jig is stretching a piece of latex that is 2" long and the press is stretching a piece of latex 1" long. They will have different tension if stretched the same distance. You learn something every day and I am man enough to say I was wrong.
  Now as Sadler mentioned he stretches his cutter calls to .225 on a press. I know others that stretch more than that and even up to .300 on a press.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

mwr

Quote from: featheridge on April 04, 2014, 04:55:47 AM
On a press you crimp left corner,,, from there to stretcher is about .95 of Material,,, Your only stretching .95 of material,,,,,,, on a hand jig from clamp to clamp is 1.875 of material,,,, now stretching .25 on both is same distance but the one on press is Tighter because there is less material to stretch,,,,,, trust me,,,,, when I first designed the hand jig I thought it should be the same but it isn't,,,,
I understand that!! :icon_thumright: Didn't think about less material to be stretched Thanks!!