Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Question about Patternmaster Code Black Internal Choke Design

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, March 31, 2014, 06:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

What do the Internals of the Choke look like?  I know it's ported, but does it have any Wad Catchers, Straight Rifling, etc.?  What is making it throw these great patterns that I'm seeing posted? 

forcercon1

I'm not sure what makes it a good or bad choke, but it does have an internal wad catcher design. The internals looks to have 4 internal rings that slow the wad. The choke is not rifled.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Quoteit does have an internal wad catcher design. The internals looks to have 4 internal rings that slow the wad.

Thanks.

shotgun_oly

I don't own one but found a pic of it for ya :funnyturkey:

mossyoakpro

Phillippians 4:13

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Thanks for the photo.  It has Wad Catcher Rings like Indian Creek uses in their chokes.  They are also present in the TruGlo SSX chokes.  I believe that SumToy also uses these in some of his chokes as well. 

These are all the rage in the turkeyshoot / cardshoot world. 

Turkey Trot

This the copy written to promote the CB choke on P'master's website:

http://www.patternmaster.com/products/5138_12ga_Remington__665_Turkey_CODE_BLACK

P'master chokes for steel and other non-tox shot been big among duck hunters for a number of years.  I'm surprised it doesn't have a bigger foothold in turkey hunting, but the price is an issue.   
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

3" 870 Shell Shucker

It took me a little while to get to the point of being willing to spend $75-$80 on an Indian Creek choke.  The SSX and Jelly Head chokes are more in the price range of the average guy like me.  However, I was pleased with the level of performance I got from Indian Creek chokes.

Rhino chokes, Patternmaster Chokes, JEBS Headhunter chokes, etc. take their pricing to an even higher level that I'm just not sure I can justify within my budget.

But I do respect performance.  Maybe one day.  Indian Creek and SumToy are more in line with the maximum amount I'm willing to spend.

outdoors

IVE ORDERED A PATTERNMASTER  FOR MY MOSSBERG 930 FREE SHIPPING FOR $85
I DONT THINK THATS ALL THAT MUCH ........ 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

mcgruff1533

I have zero experience with Patternmaster, Rhino, Jebs or Sumtoy chokes.       I too thought paying $75 + for a choke was just plain crazy... until I cashed in some of my Bass Pro Shop points and bought an Indian Creek .660" choke for my Mossy 535 with a 20" barrel.

The difference in pattern density and uniformity was night and day compared with several chokes I had previously tried.     The only choke that even came close was a .643 SSX.     In the end, I wish I skipped all the B.S. and bought the Indian Creek choke from the start.    It would have saved me hundreds of dollars lost to pattern testing countless choke and load combos.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteFREE SHIPPING FOR $85

With that Discount, that's almost down to the price of an Indian Creek choke.  If Indian Creek users keep posting that the Code Black is outshooting their Indian Creek chokes, I'll be tempted to take the plunge one day.  I still want to try a SumToy too.

the Ward

wibirdhunter

What's weird is the code black has the rings inside as pictured above plus is ported but they advertise it as a choke you can use flight control wads with and out of my a400 the code black does shoot a very solid pattern with federal fc lead loads.

As far as price I paid 85 total and it was dropped shipped from the factory to my house within 2 days. Indian Creek is around the same plus shipping for my gun. Even a carlsons is 90 for this gun.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Sumtoy or Rhino are the only two chokes ill ever put in another gun I own.

Rhino is probably the best, most consistently performing choke on the market hands down, though.