OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help with wingbone wraps (sealing)

Started by csgrizz, March 15, 2011, 10:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csgrizz

Hello guys/gals,

I am relatively new to the wingbone call making process.

I have put together 5 this year (been stock piling the bones trying to get the courage up.)

I have figured out a lot, but was wondering on the wraps...

Do you guys seal the wraps with something?  I tried super glue, and even marine goop and it never looks totally clear when done.

I was wanting to seal the thread on the wraps just to make them more durable because I do plan for people to hunt with them.

Is there something out there that dries clear and will hold those wraps and protect them?

thanks in advance for the help.

CS

Austy

I have used polyurethane on a couple that I put together with thread wraps and its worked out good for me.  These calls have also been put to the test in all types of weather and I haven't had a problem!!  Good Luck!!

C_W

For more of a bare look you can use Color Preserver. I also use rod finish on mine but prefer to use U40.

CW

csgrizz

Thanks for the input, I have a few ideas now. :thanks:

Crutch

Check into Head Cement, used to seal the threads when tying flies.  It seems to dry quick and stable and clear if memory serves me right. You might also check into the bobbins used for tying flies.

if this link works, would be great for wrapping I would think.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

csgrizz

Gitzit, that is a great looking call!

Allegan Bowhunter

Very cool call!  If you don't mind me asking, is the mouth piece a section of antler?

archery1

WOW...THAT IS  A GREAT LOOKING WRAP ON THAT .. TIME WELL SPENT
Take a kid hunting