turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New to Trumpet calls

Started by SwampSniper, March 30, 2014, 05:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampSniper

i have read a few of the different posts about trumpet calls and i really want to give one a try. I see that Cox, Williams and Buice calls are all recommended. As a rookie to these types of calls, how do i go go about asking the right question or making the right decision on what type of wood for the call?  Is there one that you would recommend for a newcomer to trumpets?

1iagobblergetter

The call maker you decide on making a trumpet for you will help you with that. Also some of the more rare or exotic types of wood or materials used usually bump up the price.

pappy

Congrats on choosing to try the trumpet call. Not a choice made by a lot of folks today, because it takes commitment to practice, but once you command the trumpet you won't be heading to the woods without it. There are several great trumpet makers here, prices range, but in all honesty, it will be up to you, most all trumpets will have certain internals that will allow anyone who is willing to take the time to work at it to conquer at least some of the basic turkey sounds. Some say that there are trumpets that are easier to draw air with, I don't know, whether or not that is true, because the user dictates the air not the call. I have made a fair share of calls, in the beginning I wouldn't recommended them for tent stakes, but after years of work and following some great advice from a couple call makers, the results have been tested and proven in the woods as well as in competition. As a "newbie" you may not want to spend an arm and a leg, that shouldn't be too difficult to do, as there are call makers who love doing their part to encourage new callers in the art of using a trumpet in field, and who do not command an enormous price for their work. Many factors are involved in making calls, materials cost, exotics cost more, and it will be evident in the pricing of a call. Decide what you want to spend and do not go over that....talk to the call maker, invest your time as well as your money, and talk to other hunters who use trumpets for their advice on how to use them and where to get one.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

TRKYHTR

Del posted this on one of the other threads. It might be of interest to you.

Quote from: savduck on March 31, 2014, 10:43:07 AM
There are a bunch out there that you can buy. Prices range from 75 to 350 bucks. Id recommend a lower price trumpet as a starter. Some guys just cant use them, if he doesn't catch on your not out a lot of money.Id say an average price is about 150 to 175 though.

Lower price trumpets ( 85 to 150)
Crawdad...Robert Glover
msharpe
Brian Mero
Joe Slaton
lyle gilbert
Mudpuppi
Austy
Pappy
Mac Daddy game calls

Higher priced  trumpets ( 150+)
Billy Buice
Frank Cox
Ralph Permar
Kenny Pedelahore
Mike Williams
Black Falcon game calls.
John Dangerfield
Matt McClain
Steve Lumma.

All these are top quality trumpets.
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

SwampSniper

Thanks for all of the advice and encouragement. I am going to get me one and start the practice. Practice is just fine with me, never shied away from anything requiring a little work. Looking forward to trying my hand with one and from what I have been reading, surely another great tool to have in the turkey woods. Again, thanks for all the help and the PM from crawdad and hunter22.

VanHelden Game Calls

For those wanting to try it. 
Take a 3" pc of a cocktail straw
3" pc of a regular straw
and a shotgun shell

1. Insert the cocktail straw into the large straw about halfway/close is good enough and tape joint
2. pop out the primer and insert the large straw so its snug

There you go a trumpet that will cluck, putt and yelp.  No easier way to try it before dropping any $.  I had kids making these at the talkn turkey expo and some of those kids are natural yelpers.

I gotta get this written up for my website so keep an eye out if your looking for a pictorial instruction.