turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

10in. averages

Started by Cutt, March 15, 2011, 01:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

Just curious as to what averages of shot in a 10in. circle at 40 yards do most try to obtain?

I see many posts looking for high numbers in a 10in. circle, but seems at times the overall pattern gets overlooked that can be just as important?

So what's average, or number most shoot for in the circle? with a 12 gauge, fill in blanks. Thanks

3in. 6 shot __?
3in. 7 shot __?
3.5in. 6 shot __?
3.5in. 7 shot__?

VAHUNTER

you know Shootum and i was talking about this very thing.
personally i would rather have a even patten with less pellet count that a high pellet count with holes.

luckly i found a choke/load combo that gives me both
MB

#6's

but i have hunted most of my life with patterns that would not come close to what we can get today. i would like to still have some of my old hunting rigs and loads just to find out what kinda pellet counts i was hunting with all of them years. my early setups would not surprise me to be around 80 at 30yds

my opinion is that as long as you can get a pellet count of 120+ and the pattern is semi even you have a great turkey killer
Good things come to those who wait

Buxndiverdux

VAHUNTER... Not to Hijack this thread... But I did test my old rig from 20 years ago a month ago. I have a .870 Wingmaster that I cut off to 21" and installed a .640 True Choke system in it. I also had some old Federal # 4's and 6's that I hunted with back in 1990-92. My best pattern count in 10 at 40 was with the 6's and it was 79. The 4's were 68. I vividly remember thinking that any bird inside 30 was a good shot. 40 was a max yardage that I wouldn't try unless I had tried every call in my vest and he was standing in the open with no twigs or weeds.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

A nice even 150 is awesome.  Anything more is just a number to brag about.  Shucks, 95 is great if there is a nice even 15"-20" of coverage.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Shawm, those are just 2 great patterns right there!   :icon_thumright:

VAHUNTER

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 15, 2011, 09:01:34 AM
Shawm, those are just 2 great patterns right there!   :icon_thumright:
thanks Brad  :icon_thumright:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Sorry I spelled your name wrong Shawn. 

There I got it right. 

If I could get patterns like that with 6's out of any of my chokes, I would be content. 

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

VAHUNTER

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 15, 2011, 09:54:36 AM
I'm with shawn, I love a good even pattern. I have shot some super dense patterns, where the holes didn't matter, because the pattern was so dense. However I love when a good even pattern shows itself on a target.

This is one of my all time favorites. It is one of my best #6 patterns, but I love how even it is.

Slicky patterns do not get any better that this. solid wall of shot !! fantastic

njdevilsb

That is a thing of beauty.

Reloader

My preferences:

3in 6s:  Lead 115-140, factory hevi 170-210, handloaded hevi 200-230
3in 7s: factory hevi 240-280, Handloads 290-330
3.5 6s: Lead 125-150, factory hevi 210-240, handloaded hevi 240-280
3.5 7s: factory Hevi 250-300, handloaded hevi 350-400

archery1

wow!!!!!!! that is a great pattern
wish mine was that good. i only shoot the 3" though
still gonna kill them at 40 yds
might have to go to the 3 1/2 next year. so in case i have any longer shots i wont be afraid to reach out and touch one
Take a kid hunting

WyoHunter

Killer patterns all!  :happy0064:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

BigHooks

Barry, That's a great looking pattern. If a gnat was on that paper it would have been hit...