OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

new indian creek choke question

Started by mikez, March 27, 2014, 08:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikez

got a new IC choke for my 935 today, still waiting for the gun to come in, question is when I look through the choke there are 4-5 machined ridges 1 about every 1/4" the last one is where the ports start...is that normal??  I have several chokes from hastings and comp-n-choke for my 1300 and they are all smooth on the inside.  It almost looks like the ridges are designed to grab the wad and pull it off the shot column???   Just seems like there's the potential to damage shot going out.  Really hoping this isn't the dumbest question ever posted on here but very curious
thanks
mike

drum817

Those are "wad catchers"  The choke is designed that way....They help strip the wad from the shot column.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

mikez

thanks for the reply, have never seen that design.  Its amazing that those ribs don't flat spot some of the shot also

Skeeterbait

Yep, they are wad catchers.  Wait till you shoot it and you will understand why they make that choke better than many.  The ports work like streight rifling.  The wad catchers slow the wad and the ports stop any spin.  the combination works well, especially in overbored Mossberg barrels.

DirtNap647

alclark2

It's a great choke in my 835

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

76chevy

Those are "wad catchers"  The choke is designed that way...

L.F. Cox

Quote from: mikez on March 27, 2014, 08:40:43 PM
got a new IC choke for my 935 today, still waiting for the gun to come in, question is when I look through the choke there are 4-5 machined ridges 1 about every 1/4" the last one is where the ports start...is that normal??  I have several chokes from hastings and comp-n-choke for my 1300 and they are all smooth on the inside.  It almost looks like the ridges are designed to grab the wad and pull it off the shot column???   Just seems like there's the potential to damage shot going out.  Really hoping this isn't the dumbest question ever posted on here but very curious
thanks
mike

Guess you missed the thread where an Indian Creek choke tube cracked a Mossberg barrel ?

mikez

so your saying indian creek chokes will crack 935 barrels and not just one isolated incident???

eman375

mcgruff1533

I had a .660" Indian Creek choke for my Mossberg 535.   It split at the ports after about 20 shots.   One call to Indian Creek and I had a new choke on the way.     The new one has been flawless and I have 50+ rounds through it with several dead birds along the way.

Indian Creek is good to go.   Buy and use their stuff with confidence.

Isomaad

I have an Indian Creek BDC .660 for my Mossberg 930 and it throws a great pattern.  3" #6 Long Beards put 228 hits in a 9 3/4" circle @40.

surehuntsalot

I wouldn't shoot an indian creek choke in anything
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Borden811

Me either, I'd shoot them in everything! They're a fantastic choke, and as you already know now, those ridges are normal.

Gold Spur

Your good to go! I've hunted the past six years shooting 3.5" shells and have had zero problems. :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!