OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Browning BPS set up?

Started by wisconsinteacher, March 26, 2014, 02:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I plan on setting up a 3.5" 12ga camo Browning BPS that belonged to my father-in-law.  It is lighter than my 870 and would like to use it as a run and gun rig.  I have an 870 that shoots 3.5" #7 Hevi well and was thinking about using something different.  I am thinking the new Win Long Beard #6 or MagBlend.  What ammo would you try first and what aftermarket choke would you look into?  It has a Browning X-full turkey in it right now?  Would you polish the barrel of the Browning like you would a Rem 870?

Clint Shook

I've been working a setup for my bps 3.5" this spring.  Here's my experience to date.
Mag blends didn't pattern very well and really kicked.

Jelly head 670 not so good
Carlson 655 not so good
Indian creek 665 shot well with LB's.

This is with a bps with invector plus system.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R AJ

You can polish the barrel if you want but may try it first just as it is. I have run chokes from 655-690 mainly in my BPS 3" gun and really find it very adequate, especially for #6 shot. My suggestion is to go with the Win LBs in #6s and use a choke in the 665-675 range. A 655 shoots a really tight pattern in mine
as in 242 at 37yds in the 10 and too tight for my woods hunting areas.

Note: Browning barrels are pretty well machined and just a proper cleaning may be all you need. The LBs seem to like a lot of different chokes . For a no hassle , one time purchase , lifetime choke , I would like for you to try William Lambert at Sumtoy Customs and let him know what you are looking for . He seems to be pretty close on his first suggestion.

nate829

I shoot a Browning BPS 12 gauge MOBU Invector Plus with a 28" barrel. I have only shot the factory Xtra-Full turkey choke with this gun. I shoot 3" winchester supreme Double X #6 shot with very good results!! I just ordered some 3" Longbeards #6s to try. I will pattern them this weekend!!!

mudhen

BPS + H-13 Choke + H-13 3.5" 6's should have you in the 200's at 40 yards from the first shot.

Same for the Indian Creek choke.

I get 220-260 with both combinations in my BPS's...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

allaboutshooting

QuoteWould you polish the barrel of the Browning

Browning makes some of the finest production barrels on the market. I'd just clean it very thoroughly.  That should be all that it ever needs.

I've had a number of BPSs over the years and currently have only one but it's a shooter. Browning recommends their "Strut Shock" turkey choke and it has an exit diameter of .640. It does a good job with lead or Hevi-13 shells and there are several others that do very well also.

Invector+ turkey chokes have been a very hot item for me this year. There must be a lot more guns with Invector+ barrels being sold or more people are experimenting with different turkey chokes.

Good luck with your gun. It's a good one.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

wisconsinteacher

I don't know if I will have it in time for this spring, but I would love to shoot a bird with it in honor of my father-in-law.  He has some old Federal #4s with it but I am not going to use those on turkeys.  The gun has the soft touch stock on it.  My thought is that it would be a great woods gun.  Please keep the info coming.

CrustyRusty

I would try longbeard 6's with the choke you have and get a hevi choke for hevi shot loads. 

chipper

My hunting partner is shooting a 28" BPS with a .665 Kicks with Mag Blends and averages 225 - 235 in the 10 at 40.

woodsman1977

I am getting in the 240 pellet count in a 10" at 40 ydr with my 26" barrel, 3.5" mag blend and IC choke

Thinkin about trying the new jellyhead though?

trackerbucky

woodsman1977,

What is the exit diameter of your IC? I have a BPS with an IC at .665 ED and I'm hoping to try some magblends that I bought at the end of last year if the snow ever goes away here (It always has in the past, but I'm not so sure this year).  I'm wondering what to expect.

Thanks
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

Extremesolo

I had a BPS and an indian creek .675 choke for it.  I would get 186 in a 10" at 40 yards with 3.5" hevi #6.  Never killed a bird with it before I sold it but I know it would have gotten the job done.  I will say the BPS is a very well made shotgun fit and finish wise.  Mine had a longer barrel on it and it was heavy.  I like the feel of my 870 better but the BPS's are solid.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI like the feel of my 870 better but the BPS's are solid and beautiful.

There, I fixed it for you. :icon_thumright:

stinkpickle

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on March 26, 2014, 02:36:29 PM
...It is lighter than my 870 and would like to use it as a run and gun rig...

Is it a really light BPS, or is it a very heavy 870?

wisconsinteacher

The 870 is heavy compared to the browning.