turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Undertaker choke question

Started by bigquacks, March 25, 2014, 11:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigquacks

I shoot a 870 with a 26" barrel. I have several choke tubes for the gun but will try to turkey hunt with the Undertaker .665. My problem is
with a new job and the fact it snowed here today, I haven't had a chance to pattern it yet. I am looking at shooting it Friday. I have a box of 3" LB #6
I am looking to pattern with. Should I take my other chokes just in case the combo isn't what I want? Also does anyone have experience with this setup.

njdevilsb

I would, just in case.  If you take them and the Undertaker works good, you haven't really lost anything.  If you don't take them and you don't like the Undertaker's pattern, then you have to make another trip.

My dad's 870 didn't really shoot all that great with the Undertaker compared to some other chokes, but he hasn't tried the longbeards with any choke yet.

d.winsor

I have tried the Winchester Longbeard #5's and out of a briley .665 straight rifled choke it was really tight at 40 yards.  With the .665 choke you have they ought to do well with #6's.  I agree with njdevilsb about taking all your chokes with you.  I have seen some post that said the undertaker .665 did ok with Longbeards.  The only way to find out is to shoot your gun, every gun is different.  If you don't like the pattern and it Is not tight enough for you, you might try a .660, if you would like a more open pattern try something like a .670.  Either way it goes shoot the gun till you get what you want.  With Longbeards I don't think you will be shooting a lot.  I don't know what your set up is related to sights.  But since you only have 1 Box of LB I would start out with 2 3/4" shells, any size shot, heavy or light it makes no difference, would probably be better to use the same size shot you will hunt with.  Put a piece of paper about 12 to 15 yards away, I normally put mine at 12 yards.  put a 1" square on the paper.  Shoot a 2 3/4" shell at the 1" square.  Adjust your sights accordingly, to put your next shot on the 1" square.  Shoot again.  If necessary use as many 1" squares as you need.  Once you shoot out the 1" square, you are ready to set your target out to 40 yards, put up a 36 x 36" piece of paper, on 1/4" cardboard 36 x 36".  Now use your turkey loads and fine tune your pattern.  This method will also save your shoulder from recoil, and will require less turkey loads to sight in.  Now I have to tell you I use a Briley straight rifled choke, ported in a .665 in 870's and SX3 NWTF guns,  I patterned Winchester Longbeard #5's at 40 yards.  They shot too tight for me, I don't have a more open choke, so I am going to use what I have with Winchester Supreme HV #5 shot.  They have a more open pattern and I have used them since 1992.  When I run out of Supreme HV I will buy another choke and use the Longbeards.  One last thing if you have a rest use it, those 1" squares are small,  I would put a 1" square on your aimpoint for 40 yard shot also.  It is amazing how much your gun hops around when aiming at those 1" squares.  Good Luck and happy hunting.

Captaintopwater

Take em all. I've had really good luck with undertakers tho.